Emac Video Trouble

berek

Registered
I have a 1Ghz eMac (out of warrenty) which has lost video contrast. It is impossible to move the contrast and brightness sliders in the System Preferences/Display control panel far enough to achieve proper contrast (using the calibration procedure). The entire screen is vaguely "pale" and true black never appears. Areas that should be black are slightly grey with faint white lines.

I am comfortable replacing electronic parts even around a high voltage picture tube. Is there a relatively easy fix for this? I have read about the raster problem caused by a faulty IVD(?) cable - could this be a less severe symptom of a slightly bad cable?

Thanks for your help.

-berek

Your eMac does not have the ivad cable that you mentioned. The fix is replacing the display/analog assembly, which is the picture tube, and all its associated components. At my shop, this would be about a $500 repair, and, my opinion, not worth repairing out of warranty.

Thanks for your quick (if gloomy) response.

I am confused though, at this link (http://www.welovemacs.com/9225806.html) they specifically say the IVAD cable fits all eMacs. How do you know mine does not have one, because it is a 1 GHz?

Is this a known problem whose only solution is complete replacement of the display/analog assembly or is complete replacement just standard operating procedure for problems without a known cause?

Don't mean to sound flippant if I do, just looking for more info before i make a decision. If complete replacement really is the only soution, I agree it isn't worth it. Better to get my daughter a whole new machine and use the eMac somewhere else. I've tried to convince her to let me put an external screen (even a flat screen) on it, but she has very limited desk space and doesn't want to go that way. She is thinking iBook (she'll need one for college next year anyway).

Thanks again.
-berek

Sorry to confuse you. The ivad cable on the original eMacs (700 MHz) had some design problem, and would cause a couple of problems with screen geometry, and color, etc. Repaired by replacing that cable. This has been a common repair on the oldest eMacs. Apple redesigned that cable, and I have not replaced a cable on newer models - ever.
Your problem is a typical one for a failing CRT, the loss of contrast, with faint lines through the display. The ivad cable would never fix this problem. So, consider the replacement.

Thanks DeltaMac, that makes it all clear (if still gloomy).

18 months sure is a short life span for a CRT though eh? I *really* should have bought the extended warranty this time.

As a knowledgeable Mac tech, do you see any systemic problems with any of the iBooks. Since my daughter is an artist, I would have to go with the 14.1" screen.

Thanks,
berek

My recommendation: AppleCare - the extended warranty won't protect you against accidents or abuse (it fell off the desk!) or things like liquid spills, just one covered repair will pay for it. Three years can be a long time for a portable computer. The part that seems to fail most often? - the power adapter and its connector. It gets the most use (and abuse) and beyond paying attention in use, not to much you can do.
good luck -!

Back