email client suggestions

Cow Loon

Registered
With Mail stuck in a loop which I haven't figured out yet how to break out of, I will need to have an email client this next week when I travel. I can install one of the clients I use on linux. But I'm interested in other suggestions.

I need an email client that works with IMAP that doesn't lose email and allows me to have separate work and home identities, without requiring me to have 2 copies of all of me email one for each identity.

So, not Thunderbird, unless the bug where it fails to copy sent email to the imap server's sent folder has been fixed.

And, not Opera, unless it now allows you to have just one copy of your email and 2 identities.

I use mail.app at home and Thunderbird (windows) at work, both IMAP. That bug you described doesn't happen for me on the windows platform.

I'd recommend TB. You could also use Gmail and use it to poll your various accounts and send/receive under those account names/email addresses, and all your mail is kept on single server accessible from anywhere.

'd recommend TB. You could also use Gmail and use it to poll your various accounts and send/receive under those account names/email addresses, and all your mail is kept on single server accessible from anywhere.

Thanks. I did use Thunderbird on mac, until I discovered the bug. So I can't use it. It's critical that I don't lose email.

As for gmail, I want to reduce the amount to which my person information is data mined, so I won't use gmail and I generally reject email sent to me from gmail.

OK the long loop is Mail TRYING to reach the email server. Click the top left Apple symbol and select 'Force Quit' to quit the any stuck application. The open /Applications/Utilities/Terminal and run that application. One the line in Terminal type: sqlite3 ~/Library/Mail/Envelope\ Index vacuum index; . This will optimize the Mail's saved email boxes. Then open Mail and click on themenu item 'Window' -'Connection Doctor' and see if you set up the email client to speak right to the email server.

OK the long loop is Mail TRYING to reach the email server.

Probably. It's not unable to connect at all, it hangs when trying to copy a message, according to the activity window. It then says an activity couldn't be completed while offline, so it's undoing the action so it can be retried when the account is online again. Connection doctor says connection and ling successful for both the IMAP and SMTP servers. So, it tries again and the same thing happens again, and repeat.

Click the top left Apple symbol and select 'Force Quit' to quit the any stuck application. The open /Applications/Utilities/Terminal and run that application. One the line in Terminal type: sqlite3 ~/Library/Mail/Envelope\ Index vacuum index; . This will optimize the Mail's saved email boxes. Then open Mail and click on themenu item 'Window' -'Connection Doctor' and see if you set up the email client to speak right to the email server.

Okay, I tried your suggestion and I get the same.

I would think I could delete my account and create it again. But, I'm afraid there might be some email that I need that isn't on my imap server. Do you know how I can save all of my email outside of the program so that I can delete and recreate the account and then reimport my mail?

Back