Emailing 150MB file

peterthistle10

Registered
I am using OS X and I want to email a 150MB file to my friend (who is also using a Mac). Is there some freeware utility to split the file up, so I can send it to him in installments. I can't send it in one go, because the email gets rejected by my ISP since it is too large. Thanks.

Try yousendit.com

You can send up to 1 gig.

basically you upload a file and you recieve a link to that file on their server and all you need to do is click the link to recieve it.

you will need plenty on disc space - I am not actually sure why but a 200mb file when sent consumes about 1.4 gig to send but space recovers when you are finished uploading.

Its free and safari/mac compatable as I use it on my ibook g3 700

It's very simple if you are on 10.4.x. I guess it should be almost the same on panther and jaguar.
You open System Preferences and go to Sharing. Activate FTP Access. And that's it. The adress should be: ftp://yourcomputername.yourdoma.in or simply ftp://your.ip.adre.ss. It would be easier to temporally add or dedicate a user account for your friend where to put that 150mb file. He will need to use the account login to enter the shared folders. That's it!
Good luck!

Another alternative is to upload it to a website somewhere, or use a program to split it into multiple 10MB files or something along those lines.

I decided to try and upload the .mpg file onto my iDisk storage space. I tried to copy the movie file into the "public" folder of my iDisk, but then the Copy window hanged, and it just stayed showing the message "closing file". Does anyone have any ideas?

The copy procedure for copying to the iDisk is a bit different -- all files copied to your iDisk via the Finder will appear to speed through the copy process, then "hang" at "Closing file" -- but it's really not hung at all.

No copying over the internet occurs until this final "Closing file" stage -- so it's kind of misleading. The copying to the iDisk over the internet is actually taking place during this final "Closing file" stage. Copying 150MB to your iDisk, especially over slow uplink speeds like Cable and DSL, may be as fast as 30 minutes and as slow as a few hours. Rest assured the copy is taking place, though -- you can verify this by noticing your modem's activity light is blinking madly, if it has one.

if you're both happy enough using terminal commands, split and cat should do it.

First make a zip file (if you haven't already), as you can often make the file quite a bit smaller.

then cut the file into pieces you can send. For example, if you find you can send at most 5 megs at a time, a command something like this:

split -b 5m bigfile.zip pieces

You'll get a bunch of 5 meg files called piecesaa through pieceszz (it wouldn't actually go as high as zz of course, as you'd only need about 30 files if you're splitting into 5 meg pieces). You send these files. Your friend gets them all together in a folder and does something like

cat pieces* >> bigfile.zip

And you're set.

Nice
scruffy said:
if you're both happy enough using terminal commands, split and cat should do it.

First make a zip file (if you haven't already), as you can often make the file quite a bit smaller.

then cut the file into pieces you can send. For example, if you find you can send at most 5 megs at a time, a command something like this:

split -b 5m bigfile.zip pieces

You'll get a bunch of 5 meg files called piecesaa through pieceszz (it wouldn't actually go as high as zz of course, as you'd only need about 30 files if you're splitting into 5 meg pieces). You send these files. Your friend gets them all together in a folder and does something like

cat pieces* >> bigfile.zip

And you're set.
:D

Dj macintosh said:
try ftp:

open web browser type ftp://***.***.*.*
* ip adress of reciver*

make sure ftp is enabled on both and drag the file zipped in to the server
While this works just fine and dandy on Windows PCs, I do not know of any web browsers for Mac OS X that support uploading to FTP sites via drag-and-drop.

Back