Eminem to sue Apple?

It's his label, not him. I'm sure he has nothing to do with it. But it is funny that he was one of the first Exclusive artists on the iTMS (again, arranged by his record label). I'm sure it's just a ploy to keep his name in the papers.

Randman said:
It's his label, not him. I'm sure he has nothing to do with it. But it is funny that he was one of the first Exclusive artists on the iTMS (again, arranged by his record label). I'm sure it's just a ploy to keep his name in the papers.

The label is owned by him (8 Mile Records or whatever). That is his own label.

I just read it myself and was about to post it!

LAME!

Ok, so your sick and tired of people stealing your music, so Apple puts you on the front page of the launch with an exclusive and sells your album for you in the hope that people buy iPods. To promote it, a 10 year old sings your song on TV. Not you, not your recording, just a kid singing it so that people will visit and buy an album, probably even yours. So what do you do? You sue.

I'm sorry, but that just seems lame to me. Supposedly, Apple isn't making anything besides iPod sales off the store and stopping people from stealing your music, so now you take more. Yes, Apple should have received permission for use of his words, not even song, that kid wasn't more than doing something we all do at one point or another.

I mean, really think about it. If I sang Lose Yourself along to my iPod, would he sue me? True, I'm not doing it to sell a product, but what product was Apple selling? Eminem's album. So, he's suing a company for finding a way to stop people from ripping off what I'd assume was one of the most ripped off artists.

Interesting note from spymac.com about the whole lawsuit...

"The ad in question featured a ten year old singing the song "Lose Yourself," and ran for three months last summer on MTV. Interestingly, the song wasn't copyrighted until October 27, 2003, long after the ad was run on television."

Go3iverson said:
Interesting note from spymac.com about the whole lawsuit...

"The ad in question featured a ten year old singing the song "Lose Yourself," and ran for three months last summer on MTV. Interestingly, the song wasn't copyrighted until October 27, 2003, long after the ad was run on television."

That's "legal" copyright.

Any work you create, you have copyright over. You then have the option of registering it with the copyright office to make it legal - which just makes it easier to sue down the road.

Whats also amusing is that the Lose Yourself ad was never aired. At least I never saw it. The one I saw on tv, had The Real Slim Shady. I remember seeing the little kid, and him singing that one over and over again, and thinking that the Lose Yourself was better. Did anyone ACTUALLY SEE the Lose Yourself ad? Am I the only one that saw The Real Slim Shady?

Not only that, but chances are, The Real Slim Shady is in control of the label. 8 Mile Records or whatever would have to be reasonably new considering that it is a spin off of the name 8 Mile. The 8 Mile label or group or whatever would have come together around 2002, 2001 at the earliest. The Real Slim Shady came out around 1999 or 2000. I remember because I was on a Senior trip in High School, and I kept hearing it over and over again. When someone goes from one label, to another, very rarely does the artist have the ability to take their works under the label with them. Chances are, who ever published his first two cd's still have rights to those songs. Because of this, the publisher would probably have the rights to the older stuff. When Steve Jobs was unable to get Lose Yourself, he probably went to the old publishers to get rights to another works of Eminem for the commercial.

Now, I don't know for a fact that the Lose Yourself ad never aired on TV, but I'm positive it didn't air for 3 months.

The bottom line, Eminem and Steve Jobs (still love what he does) are both ego-maniacs. They do what they want, when they want. Am I the only one who has read "The Second Coming of Steve Jobs", and remember where it talks about how Steve Jobs' favoriate sentence was "*uck em?"

Any comments?

I havent seen this ad at all, so I can speak for its validity, but if apple uses someone elses material and doesn't give credit for it, than Apple is liable for proper credit to the artist, weather that be record sales, acknowlegement or 10 million dollars. Apple is using a well known popular artist to help sell its own products, that would make apple liable for credit. If the same ad ran with row row row your boat, would it have the same effect? I don't think so, and I would assume Apple wouldn't think so either. I can agree with eminem because I am an artist and musician and I would want credit for the work I created.

Wait...Apple ran that commercial without permission from eminem's record label? That's kind of like asking to get sued...

Yup, Apple ran an ad with a 10 year old singing an Eminem song, with no accompanying music, in an attempt to get people to buy Eminem's music, rather than stealing it.

Apple should really be sued for that!

It's funny because Eminem just wishes people would "leave him alone" and stop suing him and boycotting him. So someone promotes him to sell his music, so what's he do? He shows off how much of a hypocrite he can be and sues them back.

Do you know where the one where he does The Real Slim Shady is? Like I've said many times before, that one was on the keynote, but to the best of my knowledge, never aired on TV. The one with the kid singing The Real Slim Shady was the one that was commercials.

Satcomer said:
I was wondering if this is the commercial?
yep this it the song

the thing i don't understand is that apple SELLS his music in iTMS which would be making him/his label money (i just don't get it)

Blah Blah...Another lawsuit....but let me ask this....What the hell is this little kid doing listening to Eminem anyway....hmm :confused: Are all the Eminem songs on iTunes edited or something? Heh

Well, the problem is actually with Apple's company that makes the adverts. If they failed to get permission, then they are more liable then Apple is. The way I see it, if Apple loses the suit, they are going to collect the money directly from their advertising agency.

Back