End of Classic?

Once Photoshop 7 is out, will you be using Classic anymore?

• Nope, see ya baby, nice knowing ya!

• Yep, I still hoping Quark will get their heads out of their...

• I only use OS9

Results are only viewable after voting.

uoba

Re: member
Once Adobe release Photoshop 7, will that be the end of your Classic use?
If not, then please list your remaining Classic apps which'll keep you tied to the damn thing.;)

My two slowcoaches are MYOB Accounting Plus (UK OSX version out in Summer 2002!) and, yes you guessed it... QuarkXpress (though very rarely now that InDesign is here to stay!):rolleyes:

There are two things I am waiting for in MacOS X
1) native greek support (only supported now by running classic, and I cant type stuff in OS X apps in greek)

2) Still no SCSI support :p

Other than those 2 I am ready to ditch classic for-eva (except for nostalgic OS collector purposes)

Admiral

The main program I still use in Classic is Outlook Express, as much as I hate to say it. My university's e-mail account system uses SSL authentication, which Mail (GRR) does not support! Until Mail does, I'll be using Outlook Express.

Other Classic apps that I will use every once in a while: Escape Velocity, Escape Velocity Override, Crystal Quest (still works in Classic :) ), StarCraft Classic (for modem games, only until StarCraft X supports modem games), Ares, and GameRanger. As you can see, all of these are games or deal with games.

Once Mail supports SSL or OE gets ported (which it probably won't), I'll be using Classic only for those occassional games. But I still am using Classic pretty much full time right now, since I get a lot of e-mail through my university account.

I'm stuck to the following programs in Classic:

Dreamweaver
GoLive
QuarkXPress
Photoshop
SimpleText (for some reason TextEdit's version of txt files won't import in some of my database appz.)
Flash (I need this one bad!)

Can't say I can honestly use these released versions of OSX appz, so I'll have to wait for updates on them:

Illustrator
Fetch

All-in-all, I'm a happy camper though... the terminal has proven to be a good ftp client for my light usage. Illustrator runs fine in classic, so do the rest of the appz. i listed above. I don't even think about if the app is classic or osx, my machine seems to take the switching back and forth like a champ.

I am waiting for:

Retrospect
Photoshop
Dreamweaver
a better SSH client (than terminal)
Outlook Express (if ever)

Once these are converted over... then I can start using OS X 95% of the time, assuming other things like Toast are working correctly etc.

I'm still waiting for Adobe GoLive, Photoshop and QuarkXPress. I know GoLive and Photoshop is in beta right now and Quark told me they will release an OS X compatible version after QuarkXPress 5. Once these are out my classic days may finally be over!

evildan: Apple has released a carbonized version of SimpleText. Same thing as the classic version only no classic needed. It comes with the dev tools but I think you can find it elsewhere as well.

Have a great holiday season!

Albert

Now that the beta of PS7 is (illegally) gracing my HD, I have only two reasons left to use Classic - Dreamweaver and Flash. But I am confident now that by March (OS X's 1st anniv), I will be Classic free.

Oh, and I hope Adobe is taking note: You should have charged people $20 to "test" the OS X version of PS7. Photoshop is the ONE application I use daily, and for most of the day at that, so I would have glady paid a little $$$ to get a working beta 3 months before the product ships. I have a feeling a couple of thousand other users would have too.

Big missed opportunity....

Originally posted by AdmiralAK
There are two things I am waiting for in MacOS X
1) native greek support (only supported now by running classic, and I cant type stuff in OS X apps in greek)

2) Still no SCSI support :p

Other than those 2 I am ready to ditch classic for-eva (except for nostalgic OS collector purposes)

Admiral

Why X is slow? because it is running on top of darwin which is UNIX. Why windows is faster? because the desktop is integrated into the kernel. X is not, desktop is running as an application.

The classic is at the end, but still using. I will throw classic away when there is Chinese input and other language input support, and totally throw it away when the desktop is integrated into the kernel of Mach.

2 words

Dreamweaver and Fireworks

as porky pig says th th th thats all folks! I wish 9 was gone 2 years ago actually I've been waiting since COPELAND FOR GOD SAKE! that's how many years ago?!!!!!???

Dreamweaver
Flash
RealPlayer
Netscape 4.x (have to use it for my online-bank, but i hope they will support explorer for os x or at least netscape 6 soon)

And these programs needs improvement:

Toast
Always gets buffer underrun when burning mp3´s to an audio cd. Worx fine in os 9 but I guess the real-time decoding isn´t that great in the preview2.

My prayers have been answered!

On www.thinksecret.com, they ran a story about OS X 10.1.2 being ready for release, and they have a screenshot of the info window when installing it. Guess what it says? Mail will have SSL SUPPORT! OMG OMG OMG OMG. That means I can totally ditch Outlook Express!

I need to use Theminator sometimes for making OSX Themes but hopefully not for long as X Themination will hopefully be available soon. Also, the X version of Resorcerer cant do one or two things the classic version can. Thats pretty much it. I dont use after effects much but an X version of Premire and AE will definitely be welcomed by me .

Photoshop is still a bit away, so I don't know whether I'll be using GoLive 6 or Photoshop 7 first. But really, as soon as they arrive, Classic will be gone. And by that I mean that I'll erase it from my harddrive while opening a bottle of fine Champagne.

"NIEDER MIT MAC OS 9!!!" :)

Back