Enter-Open Folder

Maxal

Registered
In any dialogue box, folder doesn't open up when you press Enter key on a selected folder. I know it opens with Alt+Right Arrow, but why it simply doesn't open when you press Enter on a selected folder in a dialogue box?

On the Mac's Finder, the Enter key is typically used to rename folders or files. Mac users don't use Enter to open folders, and we don't expect the key to open folders.

Yes, I know the Enter key would do this on Windows. Different platforms, different ways of doing things.

Usually just plain old right-arrow works for me, without having to hold down the "alt" key (which we call the "option" key here in Mac-land)...

symphonix said:
On the Mac's Finder, the Enter key is typically used to rename folders or files. Mac users don't use Enter to open folders, and we don't expect the key to open folders.

Yes, I know the Enter key would do this on Windows. Different platforms, different ways of doing things.

I was talking about dialogue boxes and not Finders. See my post again. A way out I found is that command+down arrow does open a selected folder (when you are in a dialogue box and not a finder). Futher, the same combination could also be used to open a file instead of pushing the Open button of pressing the Enter button.

On a side note, did anybody note that shortcut for cancel (command+.) doesn't work in dialgue box while you are in Quark? That's definitely a Quark error, but does anyone have any news/tip/trick/ on it?

Navigating in open/save dialogs is almost exactly the same as in the Finder. Command-O and Command-Down-Arrow open folders, and Command-Up-Arrow goes back to the parent folder. Right-arrow expands folders in list view and switches columns in column view, and left-arrow does the reverse.

The main difference is that Return DOES open folders in open/save dialogs, whereas in the Finder it activates the rename box. Since Apple changed the behavior of Return, it seems silly not to change Enter to match. But go figure. *shrug*

As for the non-working command-period, I don't know of any solution. It's a common problem in programs that were poorly ported from OS 9 to OS X, although I'm not sure why. I've noticed in some such apps that Escape still works, but I can't say if that works in Quark since I've never used it.

Mikuro said:
...I've noticed in some such apps that Escape still works, but I can't say if that works in Quark since I've never used it.

It does. Thanx for passing the info :)

Back