Entourage 2004 not displaying large IMAP

chyron

Registered
HI,

I have a problem with Entourage 2004 not displaying large IMAP folders or individual large emails. Entourage doesn't display any errors, simply displays "There are no messages in this folder. Within mailboxes that are being displayed, individual messages in the 250meg and above range are simply not displayed unless using outlook on a PC. Users are configured as IMAP clients to an exchange 2003 server.

Reconfiguring another mac with the same user account gives the same problems. Accessing the same account with webmail will show some messages, not all. Accessing the same account with outlook on a PC displays all messages. Entourage's Empty Cache doesn't change anything. Rebuilding their database doesn't change anything either. Deleting all prefs, office installation & cache files re-installing and re-configuring does not help. Simply re-imaging the computer and reconfiguring the machine doesn't help either.

I have not seen this happen on users with less than a 1gig of mail. But now users with large mailboxes, can't see their messages, so they can't delete them. I don't want to test the limits of exchange before it has a cataclysmic melt-down, so I gotta get these user account back into control. And I simply don't have the time be continually reconfiguring my PC to manage my bad mac users mail for them.

Any help or ideas would be super gratefully appreciated.

chyron

Quit Entourage. Then relaunch the program while holding down the 'option' key. This will bring up the pane asking to rebuild the database. Let it do the rebuild, this should help.

I tried that. Didn't Help. The problem seems to be due to the message size and goes with the user account or how entourage is processing the account. Setting up the afflicted user on a secong or third machine yealds the same problem on each different machine. The actual breaking point of a messages no longer being able to show up in entourage is somwhere between 72 Megs and 142Megs.

In further experiments, id doesn't matter if the account is configured as an IMAP account or an Exchange account. This is happening to about a dozen users.

In the folder properties, under the storage tab, the size is different than reported as the mailbox size by the exchange server.

It seems like there is a maximum message size that entourage can handle. Is there a way to increase that max message size that entourage can see?

Outlook on a PC configured to the same account can see all the messages.

Webmail going to the same account cannot see all the messages.

Does exchange cap message size per protocal? Webdav and IMAP capped, MAPI not capped? There are no message size limits configured on the exchange server or that clients.

Can I put a message size limit on an exchange mail store that contains messages that are larger than the limit, or will that cause exchange to melt down?

Thanks,
-chyron-

Back