Entourage

caoim

Registered
Hi,

I hope it's okay to post this question here. I opened Entourage today, and it was reset to to a first-run state. Everything was gone-- five years worth of email, several accounts, all of my preferences. I have no idea what happened, but I do remember deleting an Entourage file or folder that turned up in Documents. I can't remember what its name was, but it had something to do with sound. I didn't put it there, and I've been using documents recently, and this file or folder or whatever it was seemed to just appear. So, thoughtlessly, I just deleted it. I must have since emptied Trash (though not secure empty trash) because there are no Entourage related items in it. I've looked in Application Support, but there's nothing there either, and I've searched with Spotlight as well. If anyone can help, I'd really appreciate it. Thank you, Caoim

MisterMe,

I found the Microsoft User Data folder but it doesn't contain my missing info. Microsoft User Data is in Documents, but Documents isn't in the Library (this is what a understand the ~ to stand for), it's in my home folder. It's also represented in the sidebar of my Finder windows.

Is there any place else I can look for a backup or a cache?

Thanks, Caoim

'(this is what (I) understand the ~ to stand for)' - '~' or '$HOME', of Unix, represents the current users' 'Home' folder.

'I found the Microsoft User Data (MUD) folder but ...' - if you did previously trash and deleted the MUD folder; and then, launched 'Entourage' - a new 'Microsoft User Data' folder will be created. Therefore, you did not find the original MUD folder; but, noted the newly created MUD folder.

I hope you made a backup before you start deleting your data? Microsoft put in a data base re-builder, just launch Entourage while holding down the "option" key. This will cause the Office database checker. Is your account still listed?

Thanks Everyone,

I didn't backup my data because I didn't know it was at risk. I assumed the folder I was deleting was unimportant. Satcomer, The database rebuilder didn't find anything. All of my accounts are gone.

I created this disaster after reading an article on smart folders, which I've never used. The author described using Documents as a repository for his smart folders when he began learning how to use them. I thought I'd do the same; I deleted everything in Documents that seemed unimportant before starting. Dumb-dumb-dumb.

Remember this lesson HARD! Time to save up the pennies and get yourself an external hard drive and do some backing up to it.

Back