Erase Free Space

BriceH

Registered
If I open Disk Utility, select Macintosh HD, and click "Erase Free Space" it says that it will write a 0 over all the free space. Does that mean that I'll end up with 0 GB free on my hard drive?

No, look again...
It says "writes zeros over the unused space in the disk ..."
That process simply records data (in this case, zeros) to all the unused/blank space. It's mostly used for security purposes, so that erased files are less likely to be recovered. It's also hard on the drive, so I wouldn't do that Erase Free Space very often.

The theory behind Erase Free Space is that normally when you erase a file, the data still exists, and the hard drive directory is simply changed to 'forget' about that data. It's still there until it is replaced by newer data. The Erase Free Space does that to all the free space at that same time.
The process does not change your disk directory, so the used/unused space would not change, and your existing files are not affected by that process.

Sounds like either you really filled up the drive or a cache file went nuts or you really messed up the drive drying to use OS X as if you are using it like a Windows machine.

Now have you run any maintenance on your Mac?

Back