error 36 trying to connect to pc

_psionic

Registered
I'm having troubles trying to access my pc (xp home) from my mac. I'm able to see my mac from the pc, though.

connecting 'smb://ip' gives me "could not connect to the server because the name or password is not correct"
&
connecting 'smb://computer name' gives me "the finder cannot complete the operation because some data in "x" could not be read or written. (error code -36).

the only reason for this problem happeneing I could think of is that I haven't updated my windows in a while.

any help would be much appreciated!

cheers,
_psionic

I have, and I get : 'could not connect to the server because the name or password is not correct'.

I guess I should have included some more information..

internet connection is set up through a d-link (wireless)
the ethernet cable going from the iMac to the router (have also tried it with plugging directly into the back of the PC).
checked off Personal File Sharing & Windows Sharing (also in Firewall)
disabled firewall(s) on PC.
have allowed access to shared folders on PC.

any other info needed to help me solve this issue?

I'm pretty dumbfounded as to what it could be. and I've googled, using many keyword arrangements etc. to find a fix, but most of the search results were links to topics on message boards that were not asnswered. heh.

Are you sure that you're entering your Windows username correctly? It must be the exact same as is on the Windows machine. You must still enter a username, even if your password is blank.
You may want to get the latest updates, and see if that helps.

I'm 100% I'm entering the correct windows user name. I even tried changing it and using That.
have just updated my Windows XP, but alas the problem persists.

when trying to connect via smb://computername, I do get the SMB/CIFS File System Authentication box appearing. but upon entering in the information I get this damn 'error code -36' again and again.

I really wish I knew the definition and cause of this error with in regard to this process.

According to this Apple document:
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=9805

Error -36 is an I/O error. Huh..

Wait.. I may have found something. try this:
Mac OS X 10.4: Error -36 alert displays when connecting to a Windows server
Mac OS X 10.4: Error -36 alert displays when connecting to a Samba or Windows server
After upgrading from Mac OS X 10.3.x to Mac OS X 10.4, you may get an error message when you try to connect to a Samba or Windows (SMB/CIFS) server. A Samba or Windows (SMB/CIFS) server includes servers operating on Microsoft Windows and other operating systems that use Samba for SMB/CIFS services.

If the connection is unsuccessful, the following error message may appear:

The Finder cannot complete the operation because some of the data in smb://........ could not be read or written. (Error code -36).
If you check the Console (/Applications/Utilities/), you will also see this error message:

mount_smbfs: session setup phase failed
This error can occur if your Mac OS X 10.4 client is trying to connect to a Samba or Windows (SMB/CIFS) server that only supports plain text passwords. If you do not see the above message in the Console, you are not experiencing this issue and should try normal troubleshooting to isolate the source of the issue.

Unlike Mac OS X 10.3, the Mac OS X 10.4 SMB/CIFS client by default only supports encrypted passwords. Most modern Samba or Windows (SMB/CIFS) servers use encrypted passwords by default, while some Samba servers might have to be reconfigured.

You should consider contacting the owner or system administrator of the Samba or Windows (SMB/CIFS) server to which you are trying to connect and encourage them to disable plain text passwords and start using encrypted ones. If the server cannot be reconfigured to support encrypted passwords, you can configure Mac OS X 10.4 SMB/CIFS client to send plain text passwords.

Warning: If you configure your computer to allow connections to Samba or Windows (SMB/CIFS) servers using plain text passwords, when you attempt to make any connection to such a Samba or Windows (SMB/CIFS) server, your password will be sent "in the clear". This means that it is possible for someone who is monitoring your connection to see your password. This could lead to someone compromising the Samba or Windows (SMB/CIFS) server. We strongly recommend that you configure your Samba or Windows (SMB/CIFS) servers to exclusively use encrypted passwords.

Follow the steps below to configure your computer to use plain text passwords to make SMB/CIFS connections when the specified Samba or Windows (SMB/CIFS) server does not support encrypted passwords. (You must be an administrator to do these steps.)

Make sure that you are not currently connected to any Samba or Windows (SMB/CIFS) servers and that you do not have any Samba or Windows-related error messages open.
Open the Terminal (/Applications/Utilities/).
At the prompt, type: sudo pico /etc/nsmb.conf
Press Return.
Enter your password when prompted, then press Return again.
You should see an empty file and a "New File" notice at the bottom of the pico window. If you do not see the "New File" notice, this file already exists.
Enter the following into the file so that it appears as follows:

[default]
minauth=none

Save the file (press Control-O), press Return, then exit pico (Control-X).
Type: sudo chmod a+r /etc/nsmb.conf
Press Return.
Restart your computer.

wow, thanks for finding this!
though, when I go through said steps, it's apologizing and telling me that my password is wrong. that doesn't make much sense, does it?

should I even be having such problems with a brand new iMac? or is it all on the Windows end?

The iMac is doing what it should be - but it's having trouble working with your PC's setup. It's not "broken" per se. Try setting the PC's password blank, for testing.

Also, re-read the document, and make sure that you completed every step. One thing wrong could be causing big issues..

alright, so I've tried both of these fixes and still nothing yet. I'm assuming the password to be entered is of that of the XP admin account, yes?

I just don't understand this. and I can only seeing two outcomes right now... this being a very minor problem with an obvious fix that's been overlooked.. or me just giving up and installing BootCamp/copying everything to disc for transfer (which I really don't want to go through).

Back