Error accessing MySQL in Terminal

whiteshoesbob

Registered
I've installed the newest version of MySQL 3.23.52 along with the tool that places it in my start-up items, but when I try running it in the terminal I get the following error:

dyld: ./bin/mysql Undefined symbols:
./bin/mysql undefined reference to _BC expected to be defined in /usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib
./bin/mysql undefined reference to _PC expected to be defined in /usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib
./bin/mysql undefined reference to _UP expected to be defined in /usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib
Trace/BPT trap

Please help me...

Thanks,

Bob.

Originally posted by whiteshoesbob
I've installed the newest version of MySQL 3.23.52 along with the tool that places it in my start-up items, but when I try running it in the terminal I get the following error:

dyld: ./bin/mysql Undefined symbols:
./bin/mysql undefined reference to _BC expected to be defined in /usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib
./bin/mysql undefined reference to _PC expected to be defined in /usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib
./bin/mysql undefined reference to _UP expected to be defined in /usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib
Trace/BPT trap

Please help me...

Thanks,

Bob.

What version of Mac OSX are you running? 10.2?

I had similar problems with OSX 10.2, but they disappeared when I updated to 10.2.1.

Oh, also, I didn't install it manually. Do you think a re-install may help? If I do a re-install is there a way to uninstall it, so that I don't get the same error?

Where did you get the installation package?

I got mine from www.entropy.ch (for 10.1 mind you) and it didn't include any start-mysql-on-boot tools. Maybe you have an unsupported port (i.e., a port that was intended for another operating system)?

PS It works fine on ym system.

Originally posted by whiteshoesbob
I'm using OS 10.2.1, so unfortunately installing that patch upgrade hasn't helped.

I think it may be helpful to clear up a few details here.

[1] When did you first start getting/noticing these errors?
[2] When did you first install MySQL?

There seem to be alot of issues one has to deal with when upgrading from 10.1.* to 10.2.

(1) 10.2 screws up PATH. That is, after 10.2 installation, /usr/local/bin will no longer be in the PATH, as I recall. In my case, a "which mysql" after 10.2 installation only returned a "no mysql in . /bin /usr/bin /usr/sbin".

(2) 10.2 created its own mysql account in my NetInfo Manager. Not only that it changed the shell, as I recall. Furthermore, It errased my mysql account in UsersAccount.

As a result of all this, files that were owned my mysql:staff prior to 10.2 reverted to uid:gid. I had to correct the information in NetInfo Manager, and recreate my mysql in UserAccounts. After this I did a chown -R mysql:staff on my /usr/local/mysql.

(3) I installed the latest version (or 10.2 version) of mysql on Marc Liyanage's site at http://www.entropy.ch/software/macosx/mysql/

(4) After all the above, I had to redo my permissions in mysql.

Now with all this said and done, I do not know if any of this is going to really help you. As I wrote earlier, my dyld problems cleared themselves up after I installed 10.2.1.

Back