error code 0

kev_brett

Registered
Please help. I'm trying to transfer large video files from one external HD to another using FW400, but keep getting the error code. I know anything over 4gb will bring up this error, but how can I back up my drive to a second if I can't move the files???

Ta for the help in advance

Kev

Open Disk Utility (/Applications/Utilities). This will enable you to format the drives. Backup all the files to somewhere else before you format since this will wipe everything clean on the partition or drive.
For using the drive with a Mac, choose HFS+.

select the harddrive in the left pane in Disk Utility. Then the options appear on the right.

Right, I've tried reformatting the drive which was set to FAT32, to HFS+, however, I keep getting a "File System Formatter Failed" message. any thoughts?

You may need to completely re-partition the drive instead of just re-formatting the partition.

Make sure you have the device selected in the left-hand sidebar (that'll be the hard drive looking icon just above your indented partition icon). You'll know you've selected it when the "Partition" tab appears on the right-hand side.

Then, click the "Partition" tab and select "1 partition" (or however many you like). You can then re-partition the whole drive, which will probably work around the "unable to format" problem.

I don't know if this has been said already or not in this thread, and it may be so obvious it needs no mentioning, but its better to play it safe: partitioning and formatting destroys all data on your drive, so make sure you've got a backup somewhere before going through with this.

Of course, formatting destroys all data. You'll have to have a really good backup first.

Doug

It works indeed only that I have problems copying towards Windows machines as they will no longer see the HFS+ drive so..eventually the problem is not entirely solved. It looks like whatever exceeds 4 GB cannot be copied on MS-DOS formatted drives. But if you use Parallels, you will be able to copy the files on the drive nevertheless.
I hope Apple will fix the issue in the next update.

Last edited:
The 4GB limit is not Apple's fault, nor can it be "fixed" by Apple. The 4GB file size limit is inherent to the FAT32 format (i.e., "MS-DOS" format), so any and all operating systems that use the FAT32 format are limited to file sizes of 4GB or less. Even Windows.

There is software available for Windows that will allow Windows to read and write to drives in the HFS+ format (MacDrive is but one example).

You can also get Mac OS X to read and write to NTFS-formatted drives as well -- under Leopard systems and earlier, you can use any one of the available drivers to do this (Paragon NTFS, NTFS-3G, etc.). Under Snow Leopard, you can also use a 3rd-party driver, but there is limited built-in support for reading and writing to NTFS-formatted drives which can be activated with terminal commands.

Back