Error: Disk read error - Direct buffer memory? any thoughts?

eonxl

Registered
i got this error while downloading something using Azureus. any idea why i'm getting this error or what i can do to fix/prevent it?

any help is appreciated!

--e

You may be having problems with your hard drive, or simply running low on space.

You have reported this problem several times in the last few months. Have you checked your hard drive yet? Has anything helped you? Do you have any similar problems when you are NOT using Azureus? Have you tried another torrent client? Maybe you have a problem with Azureus. Have you checked their support area for help?

How much free space do you have on your hard drive currently? You should probably have double the space available for torrents that you are downloading. OS X really likes a lot of free space on the boot drive - at least 10% of your total space if less than 40GB - and maybe 10-15 GB space with larger drives - would be good goals.

yes, i know i have reported this type of problem several times. not trying to waste anyone's time... i promise. currently i have 6.5 gig available on a 60 gig hard drive. i haven't experienced this type of error with anything other than azureus, although i haven't even thought of trying another p2p app. and the error i had before was different (a "disk read error").

i'll check azureus' support area for info on this error.

thanks for the comments...

yes, i know i have reported this type of problem several times. not trying to waste anyone's time... i promise. currently i have 6.5 gig available on a 60 gig hard drive. i haven't experienced this type of error with anything other than azureus, although i haven't even thought of trying another p2p app. and the error i had before was different (a "disk read error").

i'll check azureus' support area for info on this error.

thanks for the comments...

You're not really wasting anyone's time, but would be good to know if anything has already helped you, or if you are just continuing to have problems with Azureus - even if the problem is slightly different now. In the spring you mentioned an I/O error, but still a disk read error.

let me clarify. you're right, a couple months ago (i really can't believe you remember!) i was getting in I/O disk read/write error from azureus. i was also getting some other errors, though i can't remember specifically -- some of the same ones i'm getting now and some different ones i think -- at the moment. disk utility also said there was a problem but it couldn't repair it no matter how many times i ran it. i took it to the apple store and they said my only option was to wipe and reinstall.

so that's what i did. everything seemed fine for a while, and then i started getting other problems cropping up (see this recent post: http://macosx.com/forums/showthread.php?t=275190). and now recently i've started getting this "Error: Disk read error - Direct buffer memory" error for the first time today. and now i seem to get it with every single download i'm running. if i stop and start the download, or restart azureus the error goes away and it will continue downloading again for a while, but always ends up with the same error after a while. i ran disk utility and it found nothing wrong.

i haven't tried another client besides azureus, although i the previous time (the former spring-time posts you were referring to) i did use tomatotorrent (or whatever it's called) and experienced the same error, though granted it was a different error that what i'm seeing now.

nothing has really helped. i wish i could give you a list of the things that have worked but there really hasn't been. except maybe the complete reformat i did, but i really don't like to think that as a common solution.

the things i've tried that haven't worked:

ran disk utility
freed up space on my hard
uninstalled and reinstalled azureus
started a new directory for downloads in case current one was writing on corrupted bits

and i suppose some other things i'm not thinking of right now. so i'm definitely open to other suggestions!

thanks!

--e

ps. it just occured to me as i am about to submit this, that though the error is different this time around, maybe it isn't. maybe azureus has been updated since the last time i had a similar issue and is now reporting the same error using a different description? just a thought...

Back