Error on XP Install

kelrodin

Registered
With the release of Boot Camp 1.2, I figured it's about high time I reformat my WinXP partition, and bump it up to 60 gigs (from a previous 32 gig FAT32 partition). Boot Camp runs quickly and smoothly, and I am able to get through the first lap of the Windows installation. Once I'm done formatting the partition to NTFS and installing the necessary components, I do the standard system restart. Instead of the Windows Install screen, I'm greeted with a "Disk Error. Press any key to restart" message. I can still boot into OSX, and I've tried repartitioning with Boot Camp a number of times.

Edit: I get the same error if I try to install on a fresh <32gb FAT32 partition.

Having a WinXP partition isn't crucial, but it's where I play my video games.

Any ideas/suggestions?

I'm running a Mac Pro, by the way.

Edit, Take Two: I've actually fixed the problem. As I'm a poor college student, I was using one of the IDE busses for a second hard drive to compliment my main SATA. The Boot Camp/Windows installation requires (I think) that Windows be installed to "Drive C." Since my IDE bus is recognized before SATA, the actual partition set aside for Windows was bumped down to Drive F. XP Install didn't like this, apparently.

Anyway, I removed my IDE drive, and the install went through without a hitch. Once it was installed, I was free to put my IDE drive back in its place under my SuperDrive.

I'm getting the same problem that is described here ... with a few twists. I'm only using a single drive.

I've tried in Parallels as well as Bootcamp. Same thing on both .. does the initial setup (format, system files, etc), then when it restarts, the drive is not being detected. I've tried forcing the drive in Parallels but get nothing. If I hold down the option key to bring up the boot manager, my Mac OS X partition is shown, as well as the CD - but nothing else - no windows partition.

I do however see the windows partition mounted on my desktop. Going into it shows all the files - everything is there.

Do I need to set the bootable flag? Bless it? I dunno.

Have you tried removing your Boot Camp-created windows partition, and then redoing the partition/Win install through Boot Camp? The Boot camp partition setup takes care of any boot blocks/BIOS needed by the Windows installer.
You could also try booting to the Win installer CD, and running a Windows repair from the first screen. This may not be available if you are using XP Home edition.

You could avoid all that by just using Parallels, which doesn't need a bootable partition - using a simple folder to hold the Windows files, and no physical partition, as such. Anyway, you don't need to reboot to use Parallels, that's one of Parallels advantages over the Boot Camp setup.

Back