Error using CLASSIC on startup

laop

Registered
I am an experienced UNIX/LINUX and INTEL based user, but I am a newbie on the mac.

I have recently acquaired an IMAC (G3) with 256 MB and I have recently upgraded it to MAC OS X. It is a beautiful operating system but when I start a 9.1 application and the CLASSIC mode is starting up, I get the following error:

SORRY, A SYSTEM ERROR OCURRED

ADDRESS ERROR
TO TEMPORARILY TURN OFF EXTENSIONS, RESTART AND HOLD DOWN SHIFT KEY

So I proceed to hold down the shift key and click on the restart button that appeared (in the error message) and CLASSIC starts. I would like to know how to get rid of this problem and how to identify the extension that is giving me problems.

The only ther hardware I have installed on the machine is an EPSON USB 2500 PRINTER and a PACIFIC DIGITAL CORPORATION USB 4X4X8 CDR/CDROM UNIT (USB - P/N U30098)

thanks in advance

laop

StormSilver

Registered
Well, I dunno, but you might want to unplug the CDR unit. That could be causing problems, although I sorta doubt it. Another thing to do would be to restart in native 9.1, and see if it'll boot then. That way you can identify whether it's a Classic problem or a 9.1 problem. Sorry I can't help ya more than that.

existenz

Registered
Remember that when you restart Classic mode, you can hold down the space bar instead of the shift button. The Space bar gives you a pop up window (Extensions Manager) in which you can deselect whatever Extensions you want. It can take some time, but through a process of elimination you can figure out the one that is causing it to mess up.