Error using CLASSIC on startup

laop

Registered
I am an experienced UNIX/LINUX and INTEL based user, but I am a newbie on the mac.

I have recently acquaired an IMAC (G3) with 256 MB and I have recently upgraded it to MAC OS X. It is a beautiful operating system but when I start a 9.1 application and the CLASSIC mode is starting up, I get the following error:

SORRY, A SYSTEM ERROR OCURRED

ADDRESS ERROR
TO TEMPORARILY TURN OFF EXTENSIONS, RESTART AND HOLD DOWN SHIFT KEY

So I proceed to hold down the shift key and click on the restart button that appeared (in the error message) and CLASSIC starts. I would like to know how to get rid of this problem and how to identify the extension that is giving me problems.

The only ther hardware I have installed on the machine is an EPSON USB 2500 PRINTER and a PACIFIC DIGITAL CORPORATION USB 4X4X8 CDR/CDROM UNIT (USB - P/N U30098)

thanks in advance

laop

Well, I dunno, but you might want to unplug the CDR unit. That could be causing problems, although I sorta doubt it. Another thing to do would be to restart in native 9.1, and see if it'll boot then. That way you can identify whether it's a Classic problem or a 9.1 problem. Sorry I can't help ya more than that.

Remember that when you restart Classic mode, you can hold down the space bar instead of the shift button. The Space bar gives you a pop up window (Extensions Manager) in which you can deselect whatever Extensions you want. It can take some time, but through a process of elimination you can figure out the one that is causing it to mess up.

Back