Errors Seizing G5

magilum

Registered
Hi all, new poster here.

I'll get right down to what's worrying me. I have a PM G5, less than a year old, running 10.4.5. Plenty of RAM and HD space. As a result of my problems, I've gone through the general routines of trashing prefs, repairing permissions, running fsck; and even 3rd party utils like DiskWarrior.

The problem manifests in different ways: iTunes will pop up dialogs saying it can't save the library; files in applications can't be saved; new folders can't be created, and files can't be copied in the Finder. Usually, it gives an Error -50, but it varies. I have to reboot. It's difficult to reboot (everything hangs, or applications will refuse to quit), and sometimes a forced restart must be used. When I log in again, any changes I made to the Finder windows have reset.

Anybody wanna help me troubleshoot this?

Try to make a new test user account to see the problem is also there. If the problem still exists, you might have a hard drive starting to drive south or RAM starting to act crazy.

Id it is only the account, then a Preference file from a program went wacky and it messing with the system. To check for this, first open /Applications/Utilities/Console and look at the system logs. See if it points to a certain error.

Open /Applications/Utilities/System Profile and look at your memory section -- do all of the RAM chips have the same status & are they all of the same type?

Most, if not all dual-processor G5's require that you put RAM into the machine as equal pairs in opposing slots. So if you have slots J11 through J14 (example) as one slot group and slots J15 through J18 as another and you put 512 MB in J11, you must also put 512 MB in J15 and it would be best for them to be the same brand of RAM.

If it looks like your RAM setup is correct, try taking out all but the factory RAM and see if things improve (performance may not). It's possible that you have bad RAM.

Another check that you most definitely should do is to run the hardware test that came with your G5 to see if it finds any problems. If it does NOT find any problems, don't assume that everything is good. If it DOES find problems you can trust that it's accurate.

Back