Ethernet/Appletalk quandry

mseydel

truculent
I've got to write this one down this time, as I've done it before but can't remember:

I need to link my tentatively functioning iBook to my G4 via Ethernet cables through Appletalk. Yeah, I tried booting the iBook in FW Target mode to no avail. What should the network settings be at for both machines so I can swap data? Please be very specific, 'cause I feel like I've just accidentally unchecked a box somewhere to throw everything out of whack...

I'm sure this is in a FAQ somewhere if somecan give me the link

Both running OS X? forget about Appletalk, it's not necessary just for File sharing. connect the two systems with an ethernet patch cable, probably best with a cross-over cable (can be purchased anywhere patch cables are found, or you CAN make your own) unless the G4 doesn't need it (those with GigaBit ethernet and later). You'll need to temporarily change TCP/IP settings to Manual, and change both systems to different IP addresses (I would use 10.0.0.1 and 10.0.0.2. The last digit can be in a range from 1 to 254, but a couple of systems just have to be different. You can leave this set up as a different location in the Network settings, so if you need to do this again, you can just change to your file sharing location. Then start up file sharing on one system (noting the system name and user password) and gp to the other system, use the Go menu and click on Connect to server. The other system should show up, click on that system, click connect, enter the user name and password for the other system, and that drive should mount on your desktop, and copy files that you need.

thanks, delta. I got through, but it wasn't pretty. For some reason, I could only log in as a guest. They're my passwords, I use them all the time, but nothing would work. They're the same username and password for both machines; could that be the problem? I was forced to use the one-way 'Drop Box' in Public...ugh. All's well that ends well, eh? The irony is that I've been desperate to back up my iBook 'cause it seemed like it was fried- but after the help I've gotten on this forum, I (think) I was able to fix my little iBook...

Back