Ethernet not working

rickd1010

Registered
Last weekend I installed an ethernet router between the 2 Macs that are in the same room so that we can share a cable modem. I set it up with hard wire instead of going wireless for several reason. The internet aspects are working great, but the server part is not working at all. I have Appletalk turned on on both machines and Sharing as well, but I am having no luck accessing the system on the other side of the room. What am I doing wrong???
Rick

How, exactly, are you trying to access the Mac on the other side of the room? Via the "Connect to Server..." option, via the "Shared" sidebar Finder option, or some other method? With what protocol are you trying to connect (AFP, FTP, SMB, etc.)?

If both machines are running Mac OS X, then there is no reason to use the outdated, chatty and slow AppleTalk protocol (AFP is not AppleTalk, by the way).

Correct. Only if you need to communicate with pre-OS X Mac computers, like those running OS 7 or 8.

I believe OS 9 had limited support for AFP, but I could be mistaken -- it may have used AppleTalk solely.

Thnx for the reply. I have to admit that I'm pretty "old-school" with Mac platform. I have ben a bit confused since the beginning of OSX. I've used Mac for years, but the platform is so different not. Both systems are running Tiger and the other one is an IMac G4 (2002) 800hrtz. I just can't get the network up and going. I connected once and then it has not hooked up again since. Could you check my last post and tell me if I do , indeed, need to disconnect from the internet before I can use my home server or not.

Hey All!!!!
I'm not quite sure what I did different, but I got it to work!!! Now, I need to find out how to set things up so that I am the admin of this "network." Anyone have an idea?
Thnx,
Rick

Without a "server" computer running some authentication/directory service, the network is more of a peer-to-peer network. There's no "admin" of the network; rather, just a bunch of connected computers.

To be the "admin" of this network really just means having access to the router settings and having an admin account on each machine on the network.

Ok, the network is 2 computers that sit across the room from each other. I would like to be able to set them up so that we can share a printer, files, etc.. I downloaded a file yesterday from one to the other, and got a prompt that I didn't have "permissions" to download some of the files. SO I am guessing that one of us needs to be set up as admin to correct this issue. This is what I"m trying to do. Can you help?

Well, this may have something to do with a basic understanding of how networks operate. When you connect from one computer to another, you either use an account that exists on the computer you're connecting to, or, in some cases, you may be allowed to connect as a "guest."

So, when you connected from one computer to the other for that file transfer, you may not have used a user account that has permissions to access certain places/files/folders. Let's say on one computer, you have an account named "bob" who is an administrator. On the other computer, "sally" is an administrator. If you hop on bob's computer and connect to sally's computer using bob's credentials, then bob won't have access to sally's stuff... why? Because that would be insecure. What you really want to do in this scenario is hop on bob's computer, connect to sally's computer, and use sally's credentials to log in (because sally's computer knows nothing of the user "bob", see?).

Back