Ethernet on a Performa...

unlearnthetruth

Recycle Me!
Ok, so in my home at present, I have my G4, an older wintel POS, and a Performa 6400/200. The goal is to get a cable modem subscription and have it running on all three computers - i'm well aware of how to do it - but the problem is that the performa doesn't have an ethernet card, and i don't know what to look for in buying one. Can i still get one for that machine? if so, what do i need to look for? thanx guys

A 6400 has a PCI slot and a comm slot. You may already have a modem in the

comm slot. You would do better to buy a 10/100 PCI ethernet card, belkin

makes one that will work. You could also look for a PCI card with a realtek

chipset. There are mac drivers on the web for the realtek chipsets.

I'm looking for one for my 6220. I think you need one that works in an LC slot or a COMM slot. You may want to try a site like macresq.com

performa 6400's have 2 PCI slots and 1 comm2 slot. comm2 clot ethernet cards are xpensive.

go buy a PCI ethernet card (one of the ones suggested in the posts above), stick it in your mac, install drivers. go to tcp/ip control panel, select your ethernet, enter IP info.

done. it really is that easy. i have a performa 6400/180 with a PCI ethernet card in there (forget which one, it's been a long while).

it works likes a charm.

-cow tipper

alrighty - thanks!

Problem:

macmall.com has a belkin PCI ethernet card for 19$, but it says it's for PC. The cheapest mac card is 49$... can i use the pc card at all? if yes, where can i find the drivers?

Originally posted by unlearnthetruth
macmall.com has a belkin PCI ethernet card for 19$, but it says it's for PC. The cheapest mac card is 49$... can i use the pc card at all? if yes, where can i find the drivers?

Go to MacUpdate. This new driver really works, whereas previous versions had problems.

Dominik Hoffmann

I got a free 10/100 PCI card with a cable modem hookup, which looked to be PC only. Tried it in a 6500 to transfer some files. The ethernet card is a generic card, and wouldn't work without drivers. I used the name on the biggest chip on the board. Sorry, don't remember which one. Did a Google search for that name and drivers, Bingo! their site had Mac drivers! Downloaded, installed, rebooted, and worked great!

Get a card with a Realtek 8139 chipset. Driver is here
it works great, and dirt cheap :)
Search for one at ebay :)

Back