Ethernet port problem

idhk

Registered
Recently I noticed that my ethernet port wasn't working well. I isn't of the setting but the port itself. The port looses connection with the switch, however when I try to move the eth. connecton/cable up and down the connection is back established and light of the switch is shining. Initiatlly I thought of bad crimped cable, however this happens with all connectors I insert into the eth. port? I looked at the eth. port from the side and saw that some of the small wires were misplaced. Most of all were from bottom to top of the port but two are completely down which I think does allow the connectors to establish good strong connection?

Any idea if this could be permanently fixed without the need of changing the whole motherboard?

I have PB 12"

Based on 'Most of all were from bottom to top of the port but two are completely down which I think does allow the connectors to establish good strong connection?' - view this RJ-45 pin assignment pictorial.

Now, reply with which specific pins are totally depressed; and thus, most likely - not making a connection to the inserted Ethernet 'male' connectors.

The original post states a PowerBook 12". All PowerBook 12" models support only 10 / 100 Base-T Ethernet (and not 10 / 100 / 1000 Base-T); thus, if pins 7 and 8 are the 'two' pins 'completely down' - they are not used anyway (pins 4 and 5 are not used, as well).

----

If any one (or more) of pins 1, 2, 3, and / or 6 is (are) of the 'completely down' pins - with no power adapter connected, the battery removed, and the PowerBook not touched for a minute or few - a properly grounded skillful person with tweezers or long thin needle nose pliers, could ever so carefully, pull the PowerBook's Ethernet's wire pin contacts up a bit.

Otherwise, it may be needed to have the Ethernet 'female' connector replaced.

Well I did pull the broken pins completey to the top of the port and they stayed there, but when I insert the cable/connector again the remove it the pins go back bottom.
Totaly two pins are down - 1 and 7th

Can the the connector be replaced withont the whole motherboard being replaced?

'Can the the connector be replaced without the whole motherboard being replaced?', most likely yes.

If the PowerBook's Ethernet connector is a surface mount component, a typical 'at home' repair / replacement may be difficult, without the proper surface mount soldering tools.
If the PowerBook's Ethernet connector is a through hole component, a standard (high temperature) soldering iron would be used; however, note - that the PowerBook's motheboard is a multiple layer printed circuit board, pcb. Improper removal of the connector's pins solder can result in a damaged pcb.

Also, there is the need to have the exact replacement part.

Back