Ethernet & Wireless connections problems

Joseph Puleo

Registered
I actually have two problems that may or may not be related and found this forum surfing the web for answers I could understand.
I have a G3 Lombard, 400 MHz, running system 10.2 (with no additional version designation) I only use it away from my office and its become clear that a high speed connection would be useful.

1. The ethernet connecton dosen't work at all. I spent two hours on the phone with the ISP and they too are stumped. Is this likely to be a hardware problem and, if so, what would I have to do to correct it? Selecting the built-in ethernet and DHOC (?) settings it cannot pick up a signal from the provider. I know the signal is there because when plugged into the old Gateway PC next to it, it works perfectly.

2. Wireless? I cannot seem to find out exactly what wireless card/accessory will work with this machine. I'm open to using a usb device but everything I've seen so far seems to require the operating system be upgraded to 10.2.x (I'm unsure what the "x" signifies but it implies a system later than the one I have.

I don't have a problem doing any of these things but I am adverse to buying things I don't understand that don't work because I bought the wrong thing. I've already done that a few times!

Thanks, and I hope this isn't too general a question.

Joe Puleo

Hello; I have a Lombard as well so I hope this will help,First off,sounds like your internal ethernet connection has given up the ghost! Dont't worry you can wi-fi your way around this. If you can find a" Orinoco Gold" wifi card on ebay,OSX will see that as a Original Airport card and will setup with no problem.Or if you can't locate one, go to www.ioxperts.com and see their list of supported cards.On my own lombard I use a Orinco silver card"802.11b" with their driver and it works perfectly!Last but not least you can look for a ethernet card to use in your pcmcia slot.Can't recomend any as I have been wireless for a couple of years now,but they should not be too hard to find.Finally.If you can update your os to at least 10.2.8 or better,My Lomard is great running 10.3.9 and I have no plans on retiring it in the near future.

Hope this helps! arrowone ,G3 Lombard 40GB.hd 512 mb.ram 10.3.9

Thanks,
I'd really like to pursue both solutions. The wireless network is in the office but the ethernet cable is at my parents house. I spend two afternoons a week there keeping my 90 year old father company so I'd like to be able to work there also...

Do I understand correctly that an ethernet card work with the current connecton on the computer?

Joe P

Back