Eudora E6: Good spam filter?

Durbrow

Registered
A friend using OS 9.2 and an old iMac is getting dozens of spam a day on her Earthlink account. Two questions:

1. Should I advise her to buy Eudora 6 ($49) and use its spam filter?

2. Can one upload Eudora/Outlook addresses to Earthlink's spam filter?

Many thanks for any help.

P.S. I don't think she can convert to OS X because her G3 is at 200 mhz and she only has 180 MB of Ram.

Eric.

You can have her download Eudora in the free mode to try it out. The filter in the latest version do work. Just select one spam message, go to the Special menu and select make filter.

I haven't checked out Earthlink's spaminator lately. There should be an instruction link on the web page. What your friend can do is one time check the email from Earthlink's mail web page. Then send the spam to the spaminator. This will train it to pull those emails automatically.
Or set the spaminator to allow only from the address book, but if a new email address is added, you have to remember to go to the spaminator and add it.

P.S. She can run OS X. Just add a larger RAM chip to it and download and install the firmware updates from Apple's web site. I do not know if Jaguar will run on it though.

Something is not accurate about the reported system specs, Slowest G3(iMac Bondi) is 233 MHz, and no way to achieve 180 MB with any standard RAM sizes (will be either 160 or 192 MB). Also, many of those oldest iMacs may have only 2 MB of vid ram (can be upgraded!), which doesn't give very good results with OS X.
Bondi also came with 4 GB HD, which may not leave a lot of room for major system upgrades. One should check to see that at least 1.5 GB of free space is available. The Rev A iMac probably can't be upgraded past 256 MB.

I stand corrected. It is 233 Mhz and the RAM is below 200 MB. I think, however, that there is 1.5 GB of free space available. Do you think Panther might run well on it? My understanding is that Panther is faster but maybe Apple changed the system requirements. Thanks.

I have heard that Panther may be better on a minimum system than Jaguar, in that case you're in luck. AFAIK, Panther should still run with 128MB RAM minimum (but will like as much as you can fit in), needs a system with built-in USB ports (which yours has), and as much space as you can free up on that 4 GB HD (minimum 1.5 GB, more would be better), but my concern would be video ram, you should check in Apple System Profiler, which will show how much VIDEO memory is available. If you have 6 MB, you should be OK for OS X (2 MB is not going to be satisfactory for most people)

Back