EVERYONE on this planet should read this!

Originally posted by Cat
IIRC there is going to be public protest against the war in every major european capital on Saturday 15th of February.

It'll be enormous! And you can make it even bigger! It will not be limited to Europe, there's rallies on this side of the Atlantic, too. As well as in Asia.

To everybody here in their twenties/early thirties: Remind your parents of what they went on the streets for 30 years ago and bring them along, too!
Even though the American Army can defeat Iraq without any support from other countries (well, I guess the "Poodle" will tag anyway) they would be foolish to do so despite overwhelming international opposition.

There are anti-war rallies in every Australian city at least once or twice a week, now. I will be protesting at the International Air Show, and at the city rally in my town.

I'm not happy that my government is going to war out of fear and anger. I wonder, ten years from now when children ask why we occupied Iraq, what will we tell them? And will we be proud of what we did?

We can only do what we can. I'd urge anybody who feels badly about this war to not be cowed by the hyper-patriots, but to talk to your government representatives about it.

Here one of the main ministers really licks Bush. So he says openly in the media "all those supporting peace are terrorist". Something that makes even Blair look angelic - and indipendent. Okay - I prefer peace _so_ I am a terrorist?

They are collecting a lot names towards the war. And doing public manifestations. I don't believe it would change anything even if they would collect 250 millions of signatures of europeans agains war. They are spending their time, Bush wants the war anyway.

[Maybe Iraq should send some super good looking completelly bilinqual Iraqi models to Washington. A something-like-a-Monica-scandal could be funny now] (Will I now get killed for my opinion? In Argentina people don't desaparecer since a coujple of decades, and in Europe I guess nearly the only way to die for a political opinion is doing it oneself = suic.)

A mail I just got :)

"Okay ladies, who's up for this patriotic assignment!

As we all know, the Taliban considers it a sin for a man to see
a naked woman who is not his wife.

So, this Saturday at 2:00 PM Central time, all North American
women are asked to walk out of their house completely naked to
help weed out any terrorists. Circling your block for one hour is
recommended for this anti-terrorist effort.

All men are to position themselves in lawn chairs in front of
their house to prove they are not Taliban, and they think it's
okay to see other women nude. This also will show support
for their wives and neighbors.

Since the Taliban also does not approve of alcohol, a cold
six-pack at your side will be further proof of your anti-Taliban
sentiment.

The United States of America appreciates your efforts to root
out
terrorists and applauds your participation.

God bless America!

IT IS YOUR PATRIOTIC DUTY TO PASS THIS ON !"

KSV, kind of reminds me that the reason for the tradition of hanging salami in shop windows in Spain goes back to the Spanish inquisition, and was a way for the people to prove they weren't jews.

ah, this is nothing. dig thru the past year in this forum and you'll find several that are much heavier - like abortion and other threads on nationalism. this one is tame and polite so far :D

(oh, and let's keep it that way :) )

The scary part is when we enter the gray area of patriotic discourse that could be misconstrued as anti-American subversive whatever. The important thing to realize is that national introspection, self-criticism, and world awareness will encourage us all to self-correct our lifestyles or at least perceptions to some degree. Unfortunately, at this time, having those kinds of viewpoints is rarely conducive to gaining enough power to do anything with it. Are you reading this, Steve Jobs?

The goods that you're talking about are primarily targeted at so-called first world countries. People in developing countries can't afford these products anyway.

I think the diversity makes America an interesting place to live.. i mean come on im a country white boy but i think i would go insane if the entire country was that way... the accent would drive me nuts :)

Originally posted by doemel
Now that's a noble cause to go on the streets for! Are there any "Ban Comic Sans" rallies planned? :D

Of course ! We even obtained agreement from original designer of the font, who works at Microsoft, to start typo classes ! We now have a BCS student fund in the US. The BCS French embassy (which I represent) is building more slowly: www.bancomicsans.fr.st !

Back