Exchange, Home Directories and Domain Servers

Timothy Gerges

Registered
hi everybody,
I recently connected my mac to the domain, (at least i think so), i did it in the directory access application.
Usually, the second a computer joins the domain with their user name and password, there are a couple of folders on various servers that automatically place shortcuts to themselves in my computer and act has drives. Home directories i think they are called. When i connected my windows computer to the domain, this happened, but not on the mac. How do i access these folders, also, under network, none of the computers on the domain show, no printers or servers, how do i get these to show and access them?
also, we have an exchange where i get all my email from.. I cant connnect to it using mail. On the windows computer, it asks for the server name and my username, then i can acess my emails, but with mail, it asks for an incomming and outgoing mail server (even when i select the exchange option). Please help me, i need to access my emails and important files located on my homedirectory and public folders on the servers at the office!!

If you are not, as I suspect, a member of the IT team it is almost certain you have not connected to the domain. It is also highly unlikely that you have a valid IP address for the network you are trying to access. Connection to a domain is not the same as logging on to it as if the system does not have a computer account it will not connect correctly.

Directory access has a setting to map users network home share via smb, which in my experience works well. Your best bet would be to talk to your systems admins and get your Mac configured correctly for the domain you are trying to access.

If you are still having issues post again and I will try to assist.

you guessed correctly, although i am rather experienced in networking with computers, such experience does not span into the mac realm. However, the tech that works for us knows little about mac, (and usually i'm the one assisting him when there is a problem). So i'm on my own with this one. However you are correct, i might be binded to the active directory, but i did a vpn and then a remote desktop connection to a server at work and i am very certain i am not in the domain. I am indeed in a workgroup. I went to my network places on the server, and looked for the mac, it was located under the folder workgroup. thus, not on the domain, Please help

To bind the Mac to your domain you need to first make sure that all its network settings are as they should be for your network, including IP address, gateway, subnet mask and DNS servers and search orders.

Once this is done in Directory access click on Active Directory and then configure. In the domain name put the fully qualified name of the domain you wish to join and for the machine name the dns name that correspond to it's IP address. Under options check the create mobile account and uncheck the prompt for it then click on bind.

You will be asked for a username and password. The account you must use is an active directory account which has the rights to add computer account to the Active Directory. This should bind your system to the domain and it should appears under computers in your active directory.

Then back in directory access select SMB/CIFS and configure. The workgroup name is the short name of your domain and you should set the IP address for your WINS server. Once this is done restart and you should be able to login to the domain.

You computer admin is not knowledgeable about computers. I bet he has never touched any other computer besides a Windows flavored box. You can get all the domain+OS X tips over at MacWindows.com.

i have followed your steps, and entered all information correctly. There has still been no change on my mac, however, now i can see on the server in my network places, that my mac is now listed under the same domain as all the other computers.
When i click network in the finder, there are two shortcuts, one - servers, and two-library.
I made a mistake somewhere along the line once and it showed other folders too like 'All Domains' and 'Devicesa.local' and 'Devicesa' (devicesa is the domain name). but all those folders were empty

If it is now on the domain to map your home share you need to click on Go>Connect to server and enter the following :

smb://<ip address of system with homeshare>/<homeshare name>, you maybe prompted for your password again. This should map the share to the desktop.

i got that far, and it promts me for a password, which is another problem. My normal username and password that i use to connect to the domain isn't accepted, i tried some others. I even tried the administrator's password. but nothing is accepted, i checked and checked again, nothing gets accepted. what acount are they looking for?

Back