Exchange Server email APPS??

My understanding (which is not very reliable at all) is that something special needs to be done by the Exchange administrator to enable POP or IMAP access. "Native" access to an exchange server, via Outlook, uses a proprietary Microsoft Protocol.

Again, my information may not be accurate. I have never managed or used an Exchange server.

Have a look at the microsoft newsgroups on outlook mac you will find this and a few others.

I've seen the Beta of OSX Outlook Exchange Client.

It's on the way.

Lee

Originally posted by skesler
ElDiabloConCaca
I am a new Mac user--PB Ti G4. My software setup is pretty much the same as yours. However, I have been unsuccessful in getting Entourage to work with our Exchange Server 2000, either as a POP3 or an IMAP client. When I try the latter, all I get is a connection error.
Can you offer any advice or point out anything I might try? I would very much like to get my e-mail via Entourage.
I will appreciate any help you can provide.

thanks,

I hooked up to the exchange server through the Mac's email program through IMAP and am able to get my emails but I cannot get the address book, I'm assuming Entourage is a program I need to buy?

bringing this one back since I still haven't figured it out. I can hook up and get emails fine through most email programs through IMAP settings, but my problem is losing the contacts that are on the mail server. With about a couple hundred people workign here its impossible to go and create a list on my own I need to get to the list on the mail server and I haven't found a solution to that.

I have Exchange server at work. I can tell you you that apple's mail client (which I currently use) does not connect to the exchange server natively. I use pop to connect to the mail server. I don't have direct access to the address book. You'd need the address book to be accessible via LDAP. They were going to setup LDAP at work, but with the economy where it is, the deployment got pushed back :mad:

Anyhow, I copied most of the address book entries (emails only) pretty quickly. Since I archive all my emails, I went to the folder where I archive emails, selected all 6,000 emails and selected add sender to address book. That pretty much did the trick, I have not needed to use outlook for email lookups since then.

Eudora will work with Exchange Server. And there is a free version. It does all that Entourage or Mail does. It is also IMAP capable.

SKesler, you need to
A: ensure that your Exchange server is set to allow clear text authentication, and,
B: the username format must be domain\username

Also I have had problems with the keychains in X being corrupt and scrambling passwords so either opt to not save the password in keychain or run the keychain repair utility before setting up your imap account in either Entourage, Mail, Eudora etc.

This is easily done, if you have Entourage simply add a new directory service in accounts under the Tools menu and add the name or IP of your Exchange server, logon is not usually necessary.
If you are using Mail then open the Address book program and under preferences add a new LDAP server either through wins name or IP address.

Cheers

Chris J

Netscape does LDAP synch too.

Apple should add it to iSync and the world will be perfect.

I've just downloaded all updates with regard to MS OfficeX, including the one for Entourage that's supposed to finally allow access to our exchange server.
To date, however, I haven't been successful at configuring it.
Anyone know anything about that?
Thanks for any help!

Dennis
mididen@yahoo.com

I set up a client with Entourage in his Exchange Server office. The only problem I had was that his co-workers couldn't view his calendar. I solved this problem by setting up sharing using his account on a Windows machine. After that we switched back to the Mac and everyone can view his calendar.

-td

Hobeaux said:
I used to use Entourage to access our Exchange server (had use set it up as an IMAP), but the issue that prevents me from using it still is that we had to shut down the ability to access the server remotely due to spam freaks.

What totally sucks about Entourage is that it doesn't support the Exchange Server's calendaring software which we use extensively at my job. Essentially each calendar is for personal use, rather than system-wide.

Pointless in a corporate environment.

Back