Exchange Server email APPS??

AAA guy

Registered
I'm currentley using Microsoft Oulook (in classic mode) to commuincate with our exchange server to get my email. However there is no update, nor does one seem to be on its way, so I'm looking for an alternative. I can use other email programs like the machine's default email program and connect through POP but when I connect through POP I lose the ability of obtaining the companies address brook, which is essential, and the ability to schedule tasks, not that important.

Does anyone know of any other email program that can commuincate with an Exchange server?

I'd go with "Entourage." It's the email client I use. (made, by M$) but it's one of the best clients I've used so far.

It has all of the "Out Look" options and a few more.

Entourage comes with the OSX version of MS Office.

I am not sure, but there may be a free version of an email client offered by M$. I didn't look into it becuase my company bought Office. ;)

I dont think Entourage works with Microsoft Exchange Server though; nor am i familiar with any clients that will except for the Outlook version you are using.

Peace.

Ver

I used to use Entourage to access our Exchange server (had use set it up as an IMAP), but the issue that prevents me from using it still is that we had to shut down the ability to access the server remotely due to spam freaks.

What totally sucks about Entourage is that it doesn't support the Exchange Server's calendaring software which we use extensively at my job. Essentially each calendar is for personal use, rather than system-wide.

Pointless in a corporate environment.

My concern is more the loss of the companies address book database there are several hundred people working here and I'm not about to enter each person's name manually into a private address book.

I dont know of a client that can do this, but while web access to the exhange server has existed for quite a while, if you are using exhange 2000, it works realy well and I suspect that it would work with IE5 for MAC. You get all of the features of the client it seems. The look and feel is similar and becuase of the WEBDAV functionality built in, it allows right mous clieck contextual menus, and dragging appointments around and stuf within the browser window.

Entourage works fine for emails on an Exchange Server. I'm using it now with OS X 10.1.5, Office SR1, and Exchange Server running on a Small Business Server 2000.

Set it up as IMAP and you're good to go.

Of course, no calendar... no contacts... just email.

ElDiabloConCaca
I am a new Mac user--PB Ti G4. My software setup is pretty much the same as yours. However, I have been unsuccessful in getting Entourage to work with our Exchange Server 2000, either as a POP3 or an IMAP client. When I try the latter, all I get is a connection error.
Can you offer any advice or point out anything I might try? I would very much like to get my e-mail via Entourage.
I will appreciate any help you can provide.

thanks,

Dear All,

To my knowledge, Outlook is the only program that works with Exchange 100%. I am on a WLAN and I have over 1000 people in my offices.
I use Entourage on my PowerBook, which in my opinion is the best email solution for MacOS X until MS Outlook X is released.
To access the company address book, you need to set up the Directory Services that is within Entourage or any other email package. This is easy to set up as the LDAP server is the same as your Exchange server, it's part of the package.
The LDAP should be setup correctly already on your Exchange, if not is seems that your company is not very professional.

For other features like calendar etc, this will not work in Entourage. You will still need Outlook, which seems to work fine in Classic Mode. I myself don't use it that often because it slows down my machine too much.

As for Outlook X, God only know when that will be released... sooner the better!

but for now if it is setup at all you can use the web interface to access all calendars and contacts. just go to http://your.exchange.server.wtf/public and you should be able to log in. that is what I use at my office, I am trying to get away from our exchange server completely and use a 4D schedueling software package. more and more closer to an OS X server ;)

Thanks for all the good comments after my last post. It sounds like accessing Exchange Servers is not something Apple touts as part of their "I switched!" ad campaign.
My wants are very simple. While I would like to be able to access my Exchange calendar and contacts, I am syncing a Palm-OS device with Entourage so that isn't a problem. All I really want to do is get my Exchange mail. I've tried setting up Entourage as both a POP3 and IMAP client, but have never been successful in accessing the Exchange server. It appears that the problem is that I can't get authenticated--the message says the server won't accept my user name and/or password.
If anyone can post a solution for me to try, I would very much appreciate it.

If you have the office v.X suite you can use Entourage. I'm connecting to an Exchange server on a WIN 2000 Small Business Network using Entourage and OS X.

Finch

finch,

Either something is missing from our Exchange Server setup/configuration, or there is more to the problem than your post implies. No matter how I try to configure Entourage (POP3 and IMAP), I always get a message about my user name and/or password being not recognized or invalid. Of course, I have no problems connecting--with the exact same user name and password--through any Windows machine.

I do believe that Entourage finds the Exchange server, but it is never authenticated. I can ping it from the Mac, both via name and IP address.

I can't help but believe there is a way I can get my Exchange mail via Entourage. Hopefully, someone can come up with that elusive bit of data I'm missing!

Can you access the internet through the proxy on the server? Does it ask you to authenticate then? In my company, we had to set aside specific "rules" on the server as well as give my Mac a static IP... that cleared up a BUNCH of authentication problems...

I have a feeling that it's something on the server side, not something on your Mac.

Unfortunately one of the propeller heads in my office did the setup for me while I was on lunch! This might help I hope, If I'm correct in an office envir. I don't think Exchange servers use POP or IMAP they have address assigned to them. Eg. to connect to our exchange server the address is something like fap-bdp

Hope it helps?
Finch

Thanks for all the helpful info. I, too, think there must be something that's not set up properly on the exchange server.
finch, I don't know enough to understand what you're saying about an address for the exchange server. Ours has a name, and it has an IP address. Are you saying there is some other way to identify the exchange server?
I hadn't thought about assigning my Powerbook a static IP address. Frankly, the problem doesn't have the appearance of a connectivity issue. I can access the Internet, I can ping all our servers, and I can ping my Mac from another computer.
I think there is something specific on the exchange server that I'm missing. I just can't figure out what. Unfortunately, the company that set up our exchange server and the rest of our network really knows nothing about Macs. :(
Maybe if nothing else, 10.2 will provide the solution!

Originally posted by skesler

Maybe if nothing else, 10.2 will provide the solution! [/B]

http://www.apple.com/macosx/jaguar/compatibility.html

To help you work remotely, the Mac OS X Mail client lets you connect better with a Microsoft Exchange mail server. Your INBOX can pretend to be an exact duplicate of what’s on your work machine, so you can check your mail, delete a few items, then leave other items for when you’re back in the office

Kind of short on details, but at least it gives some hope.

Well, I was hoping I wouldn't have to wait until 10.2 to get a solution to the exchange server connection problem. Obviously, a few people have gotten this to work. In my neck of the woods, I can't find either an individual or a company that has in-depth experience/knowledge in both Macs and exchange server.
If anyone else can contribute a potential solution, it would be much appreciated.

Back