.exe files launch Printer Setup utility

samm86

Registered
My wife's iBook G4 has somehow associated the printer setup utility when any application files (.exe) are double-tapped.

I tried changing the program to open the file with, but can't locate where I can put the .exe extension back to it's normal setup. ie. run the application!

I'm not a MAC user so am struggling with what to do

any help would be most appreciated

Thx
Sam

To change file association is dead simple on a Mac. Just hight the file in question and do a command+i (or a Get Info) and look at the 'Open With' arrow and then do the "Change All".

The .exe is a Windows self running program, anything from Solitaire to a virus.

That's what I'm having trouble with - when I choose Open With dialogue box, then Other, where do I find the file or entry to force macosx to open (run) the app (whether it's the .exe for new version of antivirus or iTunes)

It asks for which application to open the document, but my problem is, it is an application!

fyi The type of file that the operating system shows any particular .exe file in the description (under Get Info) as being is: Printer Setup Utility Document

I don't understand how it doesn't recognise .exe as being a program file, and hence when I choose Other to change it, I can't see any option to make it an application file again. I can select icons off the dock etc and they launch, but any file with .exe loads the printer setup... I'm stumped!:confused:

samm86, you can't use or run a .exe file on your gf's iBook. A .exe is a windows-executable file, and won't run on the Mac. Mac OS is just choosing something at random to try, or will often state that 'no application can be found', or something similar.
.exe won't work without Windows, even if it seems to try.

Yikes, well you can colour me stupid :eek:

Thanks for that - I was trying to copy/install the latest version of iTunes onto her mac which I'd done on my pc, and subsequently had the monitor die, so am trying to get to grips with the iBook.
Thanks again

Back