.exe files

billsmith26

Registered
my new mac didnt come with a printer, but my friend just got a new dell and had an extra printer so he gave me the one they sent him. here's the problem....when i put the intall disc in i need to be able to click the file entitled "setup.exe." as yall probably know, mac's dont read .exe files. it says no spplication runs it, then gives me the two option of "cancel" and "choose application." what do i need to do to get this thing to read the setup file so i can add this printer on my mac?
thanks for any help!

Seach for the printer drivers ... not in the exe file.
Which printer is it? Can you find any google results for its printer drivers for OS X?

'... what do i need to do to get this thing to read the setup file so i can add this printer on my mac?' - nothing. You can not do it - not from a Macintosh perspective.

When posting to a support site or list serve - it is helpful, for the poster, to be specific (Mac model, MacOS X version, other product manufacturer, products model name, products model number, etc.), not generic ('printer').

So, based on the post, as is - visit the web site of the 'printer's manufacturer, and obtain the MacOS X printer driver(s) (if such exist). Then install the driver(s) in accordance with the provided instructions.

its a mac book pro, intel core duo 2.16 ghx, 2gb, memory. thats about all i know. and that cant get this dell printer on there. went to dells site, all the optons for download were for the three most recent windows operating systems? is that it? a no go on the printer?

I use my PowerBook at home and at two different jobs. Because of the several different printers I need to use I installed Gutenprint (formerly Gimp-Print) which allows you to use almost any printer with your Mac without installing any drivers. Right now I am using four printers, a Lexmark, two HPs, and an Epson.

http://gimp-print.sourceforge.net/

okay thank you SO much! the gimp-print website held my hand and I saw where I needed to be!......a problem still looms though....."Dell" isnt on the list of printers you must select from. My mac recognizes the computer via the USB plug-in, but since cant select my "dell from the "add printer" list, i still cant load this one. 2 questions remain here...the first, is there anyway i can get my computer to find this dell printer? secondly, i have an older HP laser jet 4, but it doent conncet via USB, or have a place to plug one in, but if theres a way i can use that one ill settle. id rather have the dell on here, so any more sugguestions i would appreciate. yall have been awsome for helping me with all this.
thanks

Dell printers are usually just re-branded hp or Lexmark printers -- if you can somehow find out which Lexmark or hp printer is the equivalent of the Dell printer, then you can possibly just use the hp or Lexmark driver to drive the Dell.

Back