"Expert Mode" in OSX?

Hello all. Question:

Back in the days when NeXTStep and OpenStep were around (much of which seems to have become OSX to some degree or other), there was an "Expert Mode" in one of the main Desktop preferences, where it would allow you to see all the hidden "dot.files", like .cshrc and the like in the main file viewer. IIRC, directories like /etc, /tmp, /opt, /bin and all those are also invisible in MacOSX, as they were in OpenStep until you turned on this little flag, at which time you could see absolutely everything.

Does MacOSX have a similar "Expert Mode" to see all system files and directories from the file viewer?

That I know of I don't think so, but I could be wrong. I know you can use the menubar to go to a directory location (like /private) and then browse that way, or you can create an alias to /private on the desktop or something. But as for hidden files, I think you can enable their view within the Finder. Of course, I'm speaking theoretically since I'm not in front of my iMac G5 at home so I can't be sure that is exactly the case.

Does MacOSX have a similar "Expert Mode" to see all system files and directories from the file viewer?

Nope. Apple wants to be the computer choice of everybody else, not just geeks.;) Thankfully many free developers wanted this. IMHO the best free tweaker in OS X to get want you want is Tinkertool.

Outstanding! I knew someone would have the answer one way or another. Looks like a handy little tool. Going to play with it tonight, provided my electricity gets turned on again. Got hit with that big storm that nailed Northern Virginia last night. Not pretty around here. Thanks very much!

Back