export iTunes playlist as mp3s

wapstar

iAussie
Due to the fact that mp3 CDs burnt from iTunes wont play in my car stereo (and yes it is an mp3 player) I want to export the files of a playlist to a folder on my desktop and burn a CD from there. (which seems to work in the stereo)
Anyone know how to? or know of a program?

I dont just want the txt file or xml file which the iTunes export function produces I want to DUPLICATE the mp3s to a new folder. 0

imac 17"flat panel, Sanyo car stereo, iTunes 6.whatever the latest is.

I have tried both formats out of iTunes, mp3 cd or data cd.

Select all the songs in iTunes, and drag them into a new folder in the Finder while holding down the Option key. This will duplicate all the files (without the Option key, it would move them).

Sure, but why would you go digging through your (potential) 1,000's of MP3 files in the Finder, when you can just highlight the entire playlist in iTunes, then drag them to a new folder on your Desktop? It does the same Finder-copy procedure as if you manually located the files in the Finder and copied them to a new folder.

The 6 cd player in my new F 150 doesn't like cd-r's. I haven't experimented a lot, but it won't play the few that I tried.

Doug

I dragged all of the files in the playlist to the "burn Folder" i had created on the desktop, I forgot to do the option key but maybe because it was a burn folder it duplicated them anyway.
I then created sub folders (for each album) burnt a disk (almost full) but it still didnt work. I then deleted a few albums so it wasnt a full CD (about 400k) and this worked fine.

I then went back to iTunes and burnt some smaller CDs but anything out of iTunes doesnt work.

I guess I can work around it but it is a hassle especially when i want to create a mixed playlist with subfolders.

It is a bummer that iTunes the best and probably most popular audio software has issues with this considering practically all cd players now play mp3s.

ElDiabloConCaca said:
Sure, but why would you go digging through your (potential) 1,000's of MP3 files in the Finder, when you can just highlight the entire playlist in iTunes, then drag them to a new folder on your Desktop? It does the same Finder-copy procedure as if you manually located the files in the Finder and copied them to a new folder.
Hmm, iTunes folder contains all the MP3's. Why not drop that folder into the burn folder, then hey, all the subfolders for albums are already there and sorted out so the user does not have to create them, just a matter of taking out the tracks you don't want to help the burn folder fit on CD

wapstar said:
I dragged all of the files in the playlist to the "burn Folder" i had created on the desktop, I forgot to do the option key but maybe because it was a burn folder it duplicated them anyway.
I then created sub folders (for each album) burnt a disk (almost full) but it still didnt work. I then deleted a few albums so it wasnt a full CD (about 400k) and this worked fine.

I then went back to iTunes and burnt some smaller CDs but anything out of iTunes doesnt work.

I guess I can work around it but it is a hassle especially when i want to create a mixed playlist with subfolders.

It is a bummer that iTunes the best and probably most popular audio software has issues with this considering practically all cd players now play mp3s.
Try a different bran of CD-R. This is bit different but I had some DVD-R and they just wouldn't work, I paniced about it being my superdrive, but then I got another bran DVD-R and works without flaws

Is this maybe a Tiger issue? Or, as others are mentioning, a problem with the brand of CD-R's?

I say this only because I have had no problems creating MP3 cd's with iTunes. Running Panther 10.3.9.

As for pulling songs to the desktop, I find iTunes works just like iPhoto; any songs I drag to the desktop are automatically duplicates--no need to use the option key.

Have you tried Toast?

sirstaunch said:
Hmm, iTunes folder contains all the MP3's. Why not drop that folder into the burn folder, then hey, all the subfolders for albums are already there and sorted out so the user does not have to create them, just a matter of taking out the tracks you don't want to help the burn folder fit on CD

Try a different bran of CD-R. This is bit different but I had some DVD-R and they just wouldn't work, I paniced about it being my superdrive, but then I got another bran DVD-R and works without flaws

When I dragged to the burn folder it copied as individual files and not as subfolders. So I had to reorganize them so.

I have tried a few different brands of CD-R from cheapo to expensivo to no avail.

wapstar said:
I have tried a few different brands of CD-R from cheapo to expensivo to no avail.

Hi,

I have a Kenwood Z838 car stereo and I also make my MP3 cd's manually. That's because the manual explicitly sets a huge set of rules in order for the head unit being able to play the cd.
To give you an idea, it goes from acceptable media (CD-R, CD-RW) to media format (ISO 9660 Level 1, Level 2, Joliet, Romeo), presence of files other than mp3, etc... well you get the idea.
My point is: are you sure you're complying with the set of rules (if any) of your car stereo?
Like it was said in this thread I make my cds dragging the desired tracks to folders then I clean up any .ds files and manually arrange the files and folders so they show up in the order I want when played on the car stereo.
After that I burn th CD complying with all the other restricitons.
Enjoy your mp3's. :)

1.) Are all the files really MP3 files, or are AAC files among them? (For example tracks bought on iTunes Music Store are *NOT* MP3 files you can play on your car stereo unless you burn them as songs instead of files!)

2.) Do the tracks have 'difficult' file names? If so, it might be good advice to rename them in the Finder's burnable folder before burning that folder.

3.) Do _not_ use CD-RWs. Only CD-Rs. They tend to be much more hassle with car equipment...

That all being said, I must say that I _never_ had any trouble with media – cheap or expensive brands, never had any trouble with CD-Rs (unless at burn time, that is...).

fryke said:
1.) Are all the files really MP3 files, or are AAC files among them? (For example tracks bought on iTunes Music Store are *NOT* MP3 files you can play on your car stereo unless you burn them as songs instead of files!)

2.) Do the tracks have 'difficult' file names? If so, it might be good advice to rename them in the Finder's burnable folder before burning that folder.

3.) Do _not_ use CD-RWs. Only CD-Rs. They tend to be much more hassle with car equipment...

That all being said, I must say that I _never_ had any trouble with media – cheap or expensive brands, never had any trouble with CD-Rs (unless at burn time, that is...).

-All are mp3's
-No real difficult file names
-only CD-R's used

hokie said:
Hi,

I have a Kenwood Z838 car stereo and I also make my MP3 cd's manually. That's because the manual explicitly sets a huge set of rules in order for the head unit being able to play the cd.
To give you an idea, it goes from acceptable media (CD-R, CD-RW) to media format (ISO 9660 Level 1, Level 2, Joliet, Romeo), presence of files other than mp3, etc... well you get the idea.
My point is: are you sure you're complying with the set of rules (if any) of your car stereo?
Like it was said in this thread I make my cds dragging the desired tracks to folders then I clean up any .ds files and manually arrange the files and folders so they show up in the order I want when played on the car stereo.
After that I burn th CD complying with all the other restricitons.
Enjoy your mp3's. :)

It sounds like just what I have had to do. It is going to suck when I want a complex playlist of tracks from multiple albums etc. etc. I just thought iTunes should be able to make such a CD of mp3's. On the apple discussions site there are others having the same issues. I am still not sure if this is related to Tiger or just the latest version of iTunes.

Back