Ext. HD won't show up in Finder now...

troymess

Registered
Hey everyone,

I'm brand new to the board. I have a an apple iBook G4 with a PowerPC processor. Anyways, I usually use my NTFS formatted Ext. HD to read from on the iBook and it's always shown up in Finder.

However, I tried installing MacFUSE to read AND write to the HD and after typing in this terminal commands (taken from a tutorial website), my HD won't show up AT ALL in Finder now. However, it does show up in Disk Utility. Here are the commands I typed:

1st attempt and set of commands:

mkdir /Volumes/disk1s1

ntfs-3g /dev/disk0s2 /Volumes/disk1s1 -o
ping_diskarb,volname=”disk1s1”

After that attempt did not work, I went to another tutorial site and found these Terminal commands and tried them and this is where things went wrong I believe:

sudo ln -s /System/Library/Filesystems/fusefs.fs/mount_fusefs /usr/bin/mount_fusefs

mkdir /Volumes/Windows

sudo /usr/local/bin/ntfs-3g /dev/disk0s2 /Volumes/”Windows” -o ping_diskarb,volname=”Windows”

I've tried repairing and verifying the Ext. HD in Disk Utility and everything came out successfully, however, it still does not show up in Finder.

Any help is EXTREMELY appreciated.

hhmmmmm sounds a bit like problems I was seeing after upgrading to Leopard.

I have a Powerbook G4 15". I also have my broadband modem connected to my Airport Extreme base station. My ext. HD is also connected to the Airport via USB.

When I first installed Leopard it was having problems seeing the ext HD in Finder. Even after reboots, sometimes it would show sometimes not. More of ten than not though, rebooting the Airport Extreme base station would do the trick, but it was still a pain in the butt.

Since running the Leopard software update 10.5.1, I have not experienced this issue since. I mean this was about a month ago right, and I havent experienced it. Do you have Leopard and 10.5.1 installed?

All my software is up to date as far as the G4 goes. I am running Tiger OS X and 10.4.11 and my Software Update says everything is up to date.

I know this issue is because of the commands I typed into Terminal. I know this because the ext. HD WAS showing up before I typed them in. After I typed this stuff, it stopped showing up in Finder, but will still show up in my Disk Utility.

Thank you for the help...do you think upgrading to Leopard will fix this?

Unhook the external and then turn it off. The next step is to Reset your Pram. Lastly connect the external and turn it on. If disk Utility can still see it, try to repair the disk. External hard disks can die just like internal hard disks.

Thanks for the idea of resetting the Pram, however, I did everything you said...and I'm still getting the same results. I know the HD hasn't crashed or is dead, because it shows up on my Windows machine and works fine.

Also, it STILL shows up in Disk Utility and is recognized as a working drive. It's just not showing up in Finder anymore...it used to until I typed those "stupid" Terminal commands I have listed above...

Back