External drive changed the file type?

NickBurns

Mac Abuser
Hey guys,

I have a 500g AcomData external firewire drive that i use w/ one of my G4's running OS9.2. I have been using the drive for about 3 months with no issues.

Yesterday i went to work on some music files, and when i tried to open my session, a bunch of the drums were missing. When i went to the drive and looked in the actual folder, all the missing drums were there, but their icons read 'PC' and the music program wont recognize them?

Basically, i moved some files from my G4 to my external drive. They were initially Pro Tools files and the drive must have converted them to 'PC'.

When i do 'apple I' it doesnt say that any of the info/format has changed? But the Icon is different, and Pro Tools wont see it?

I have done this a bunch with all my other songs, for the past 3 months with no isssues...?

Is there anyway to change these files back to what they used to be? I would really appreciate any ideas, as this is a ton of work to have to re-do....Seriously. LOL

Thanks again guys,

I have a 500g AcomData external firewire drive that i use w/ one of my G4's running OS9.2. I have been using the drive for about 3 months with no issues.

Nothing was changed. MacOS 9 and MacOS X associate files to applications differently. MacOS 9 uses CREATOR/TYPE codes almost exclusively. MacOS X is much more flexible, but uses file extensions as the default.

Associating files to an application is not difficult:
  1. Within the MacOS X Finder, select one of your files.
  2. Press [Apple]+[ i ] or File>Get Info.
  3. Locate the Opens with: pop-up menu.
  4. Select your desired application from the list.
  5. Press the Change All... button.

Thanks for the reply.....

But i didnt say anything about OSX. I dont even have OS9 and OSX on the same machine? So how did it do this? I would literally have to move the files from the G4 with OS9 to the G4 with OSX to try out your idea.

Is there anyway to do this in OS9?

I still just dont get what happened....Computers are sweet! they keep you on your toes....

Anyone else with any ideas?

Is there anyway to do this in OS9?

Anyone else with any ideas?
Ah, so you are having this issue with MacOS 9? OK, MacOS 9 has two hidden files, Desktop DB and Desktop DF, known collectively as the Desktop. Among other things, the Desktop stores the icons of all applications and data files and their CREATOR/TYPE codes. Each mounted volume should have its own Desktop. However, the Desktop of the boot volume eventually becomes a superset of the Desktops of all mounted volumes. A hard drive that is used on a Windows computer will not have a Desktop. MacOS 9 should create a Desktop the first time that a volume is mounted. You may need to rebuild the Desktop. To rebuild the Desktop, mount all relevant volumes--hard drives, floppies, network volumes, everything. Restart your computer and then press [Apple]+[Option] while it reboots. MacOS 9 users should periodically rebuild their Desktops to keep their computers working efficiently.

What format is the external drive in? FAT32? Mac OS X Extended? Mac OS X Extended (Journaled)?

Sorry i mised your reply...LOL

Im not sure how it is formattd? I will look in the book and post back..

To rebuild the Desktop, mount all relevant volumes--hard drives, floppies, network volumes, everything.

When you say mount, you mean start up the external drive,(thats the only periphial)then start up the G4 with OS9, and hold apple+option while it boosts? Just making sure...

Thanks for the help guys, i will post back the results....

I did it and it didnt change it. it took about 15 min for it to complete the rebuild.

Any other ideas?

Thanks,

Back