External Firewire/USB2 - Network Access?

Akkarin

Registered
I have a Windows XP PC and a Mac Mini with the latest OSX Tiger on it with all the updates on both connected together with a wired router.

I have an External Firewire/USB2 drive attached to my Mac Mini. Is there a way to access this drive or folders on this drive from my Windows XP PC via the network?

I have enabled windows file sharing in the Mac’s settings but it only seems to let me see my account folder from the Mac on my Windows XP PC and I can’t seem to figure out how to get access to the external drive to read and write files to it from my Windows XP PC accross the network.

Hope this makes sense and you can help me.

Thank You.

This can be done several ways. Reformat the drive for Fat since Microsoft will not license NTFS specs to anyone to write to an NTFS drive from a non-Microsoft machine. However you know Fat32 is limited in file size transfers. So an enterprising third party developer made MacDrive for Windows XP to read/write the Apple drive format of HFS+. So reformat the drive using OS X and install MacDrive on the XP machine and have the best of both worlds.

Thank you very much! This is the info I needed.

Thank you for taking the time to answer I kind of feared that would not make sense what I was asking. But I have the answer now! :)

I am moving to Mac as my main OS now...but I do want at least one Windows PC and one Linux PC on the network. Just to keep up to date on what they are doing even though they are not my primary source of computing.

Weeeeeeeee I am happyyyyy you fixed my problem. :)

Back