External Hard Drive?

? ( Short Answers on this thread :) )

Boot to installer disk
Choose your external drive as the destination.

(sorry - couldn't figure out how to say that in one word... )

Let me ask you guys another question... is Leopard Server worth installing? What are the benefits, and what can I do with it that would make it worth my while?

I'll answer a question with a question: why did you spend $500/$1,000 purchasing Leopard Server if you don't know what it's used for?

Of course, this is assuming you have possession of Leopard Server (which is what I think is insinuated in your posts) and the only legal way to possess Leopard Server is to purchase it, so spending $500 or $1,000 on a piece of software first before assessing whether it's worthwhile to install and/or use is... ummm... weird?

Leopard Server is meant to be a central repository/controller/DHCP server/web server/FTP server/etc. and has many GUI-based applications for configuring many different services for clients, not unlike many other "server" packages out there.

I didn't spend the money on Leopard Server... the only thing I wanted to know is if it could be installed on an external drive. And, now that I know it potentially can, I want to know if it's worth it or if I should just stick with Windows Server 2003 or something that I already have.

Leopard Server doesn't do anything that Windows Server 2003 or some Linux-based server can't. What services are you looking for specifically in a server package? Leopard offers almost all of them -- of course, Windows Server 2003 has the option of Exchange support with Exchange Server, and I have not seen a comparable Exchange Server package running on any other platform that offers the same features that Exchange Server does. Sure, there are some packages that emulate an Exchange Server, and possibly even some mail servers that offer collaborative data exchange like Exchange Server, but nothing touches Exchange for collaborative data and mail exchange for Windows clients.

That may be something to take into consideration when considering Leopard Server -- do you have Windows clients that need full Exchange support?

Depends on what you are trying to do and in what kind of environment. If you are just trying to do a small workgroup server, Leopard will fit that well and possibly in a quicker, easier fashion. If you are looking for a more advanced configuration, both servers can play in that arena, so it depends even further on what you are trying to accomplish.

As it was mentioned, you get the ability to look into Exchange with Windows, but there are additional costs for running, supporting and connecting to that. There is also a standards based email server and collaboration service in Leopard Server. Those services are bundled into the software and will not incur additional licensing considerations.

All depends on what you are trying to do and what technologies you like. Do you want to run a Windows OS or a Mac OS? Do you have any hardware investments to consider? What clients are you going to support? What services are you interested in? Evaluate some of those considerations and you should have a better idea of what platform you might want to use.

Michael

Back