External HD fubar, 31.5 GB?

utn

Registered
I just bought a external hard drive enclosure and a 250 GB Hitachi drive to go in it. I set it all up, plugged it in and powered it on. The drive shows up fine and I can format it, but it thinks its a 31.5 GB drive! I know hard drives arent exactly the same size as advertized but 31.5 GB!! ;)

Why could it be thinking that its such a small size? The only other problem I've heard with HDs is that sometimes it wont recognize a drive over 128GB, but I think that is not a problem with OS X, correct?

I have a Powerbook G4 with Mac OS 10.4.3.
The external drive is USB 2.0 (I read the box wrong, thinking it was firewire and USB, oh well)
The enclosure is a Cintre X Gear II. (www.cintreusa.com)
And as said above the internal drive is a Hitachi 250 GB Parallel ATA Interface HD.. if that matters.

Thanks,
Scott

P.S. Also, how should I format the drive, what is the difference between Mac OS Extended, Mac OS Extended Journaled, Mac OS Extended Case Sensitive and Mac OS Extended Case Sensitive Journaled?

You have a clip jumper in place, which will limit the maximum size to 32GB.
Either look at the jumper settings that came with the drive, or use this doc http://www.hitachigst.com/tech/techlib.nsf/techdocs/4DD4DCCA11DE5EB186256D6A0061C8A8, using only the master drive jumper setting. You may need to reinitialize the drive after setting the jumpers properly.
Mac OS Extended will be fine on an external drive. If you install OS X 10.4 on that drive to use as an alternate boot drive, the installer will change the drive to Extended (Journaled) by default.

Thankyou : P it works fine now. I didnt read the enclosure box well enough and then I didnt read the pinout for the jumpers on the hard drive close enough.. It's not my day today.

Thanks again,
Scott

Back