External Monitor for Imac?

JeffKent

Registered
I just bought a great new 27" LCD widescreen monitor for my Windows machine and was wondering if I could use it for my 800 Mhz Imac instead of the 17" screen that it built in? The new monitor does have a DVI input along with 2 RGBs. I love my Imac but sitting next to the new, bright "Monster" LCD it looks, well, DULL!! I thought I read somewhere that the Imac could use an external monitor. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks to all replies. I am...

Jeff Kent

Your iMac has a mini-VGA connector, which takes an adapter that you can find at an Apple retailer. This does not give you a DVI connection, however, only VGA. Also, you get a mirrored image on the external display. It's likely your video output will not drive that big display very well.

Be advised that you probably won't be able to use the 27" LCD at it's native resolution, since the iMac can only mirror images at the same resolution as the built-in monitor.

is there no work-around to get split screens on the iMac? like Screen Spanning Doctor(or likewise) for the iBooks...? i mean, mirrored mode is fine, but hell, my life was finally worth living again when i could work with double screens ;)

alex.

Back