extracting Exe's

ziomatrixacs

Registered
Hey guys, I got a game, command and conquer: Zero hour. It plays fine but got a little stale so I went to get some add ons for it. I got a few that work with my mac, (Mideast crisis and Reborn) but the bad thing is that there are a few really cool add ons like playing ZH with a star wars, Wargames and matrix skin. They have the same files as the mac ZH but they are in an .exe file instead of a .zip. I need to extract the files. I tried juicer but it doesnt detect the file types I need which range from .ini to .big and .tga and a bunch others. Is there any way I could extract, but not run EXE's?

Alright, Ill check that out. I tried using my friends computer with windows and it made a ridiculous mess of things, had files mixed and merged with everything. I got the files out but there is another exe in it. Im not sure if this just moves things around to get the mod to work or if it is vital. The game it self doesnt use .exe files, but the mod requires several folders to be moved tidiously. That .exe could be to move them around..

I hope it works out.. had drove 10 miles to steal wifi at pizza hut!

Get yourself VMware and have windows on your mac so you can do all the extractions without traveling 10 miles!!!! lol. But out of the joke, most .exe files are automatic ZIP files which extract them self's anyways in Windows. Give it a try, I play world of warcraft and sometimes i download mods which i have to extract in Windows, which i have an image on VMWare, then i pass the files back to my MAC drive (drag and drop) via there seamless interface.

try it out, let me know.

I got the files extracted but I couldnt use them, the files had weird extensions so they didnt work.. I also didnt feel like dragging and dropping the files back everytime. The true mac versions have an installer that do it automatically! Much smoother!

I am currently running a PPC processor, so id have to get that virtialmachine program but I dont feel like buying it since I plan to get a MB pro within the next few months.

Its funny, when i play multiplayer with my friend, his mac book always loads before my ibook and makes the game think I dropped the connection.

I used toast to make a disc image file of my windows XP, could I mount it with toast and use it with VMware fusion? I ask this because I wont be any where near home or the physical XP disc when I get my MB pro, ill just have a toast disc image of it.

If you want something that's free for running Windows in a virtual machine, you could download Q which is the Cocoa version of QEMU:
http://www.kju-app.org/

Be forewarned that while you can install Windows on it, it's going to be painfully slow. I installed Windows XP within Q on a G3 iBook and the installation took about 3 hours, but it will work.

My ibook has a 1.2ghz ppc processor, not a 1.33ghz like I thought. Probably a 2.5 hour wait.

I started using mac so I dont have to suffer with a painfully slow Windows OS. :D

All jokes aside I was going to get XP so I could do the intensive things a mac cant do, like heavier games and run windows only programs that have no equvilent to a mac.

What would be the advantage of running Q and XP on my Ibook?

All jokes aside I was going to get XP so I could do the intensive things a mac cant do, like heavier games and run windows only programs that have no equvilent to a mac.

What would be the advantage of running Q and XP on my Ibook?

The only advantage would be to run that one particular app for which there is no Mac equivalent. However, games and other intensive applications are definitely a no go due to the slow speed of the emulation. For that, you're better off having a spare PC available somewhere at home.

Back