Failed To Load Extension Com.Apple.Drive

mkrshnan

Registered
Failed To Load Extension Com Apple Driver Applemacriscpc

Still waiting for root device

what should i do?

iBook G4 12"
updated firefox today and tried to update os x 10.4.11 combo update (ppc). I tried to install the update after downloading, but it quit and said it had been moved to the trash and I could open it again in finder. I tried this but it quit, giving me the standard error message. After that I rebooted and then it never booted again. Only the blue apple screen and nothing else.

Then I booted pressing the S key... it opened up a terminal like screen and at present it says
Failed to load extension com.driver.AppleMacRiscPCI.

among a lot of other messages.

Currently Still Waiting for root device and is in a loop with the same message. What should I do?

I wouldn't jump to the extreme conclusion that the logic board is fried. That's pretty dang extreme for a failed update, no? If the logic board were "fried," then mkrshnan wouldn't be able to boot at all -- and he/she IS able to boot at least into single-user mode as described in the first post.

Besides, the error is reporting a problem with a software driver -- it's not like they ran the Apple Hardware Test CD and it reported a hardware problem.

Just trying to figure out why you would suggest scrapping the entire computer over something as small as a potential driver problem... that seems a bit ridiculous in my opinion, much like scrapping a whole car because the radio doesn't work. There are a bunch of other things to try before suggesting that the computer should go into the trash.

I would think that somewhere in the updating process something went awry and now you're left with a non-bootable system. At this point, I would suggest an "Archive & Install" procedure, which will salvage most of your installed applications and some user settings from your previous system.

To do that, boot from your Mac OS X Install CD/DVD, and follow the on-screen prompts to perform an "Archive & Install." Then, try the 10.4.11 combo updater again to see if it brings your system up-to-speed. You'll also need to run Software Update after that to re-install any security and/or application patches as well.

Back