Failed XP install on leopard : ( HELP URGENT!

FenderCyclone45

Registered
I just attempted to install xp on my new macbook pro. I used the bootcamp app and i got as far as using the xp disk to install windows and go through the windows setup while booted from the xp disk. Unfortunately i dont think the disk i used was servicepack 2. I finished the installation and my computer automatically rebooted. When it restarted it says press any key too boot from disk (normally on a PC if you ignore this it starts windows normally) so i waited, but instead of windows booting the black command prompt screen displays "disk error" and then it says press any key to restart. Well i pressed a key....nothing happened....then i pressed multiple other keys...nothing happened. I cannot eject the disk either. I have tried waiting 15 minutes after booting because i have read that the disk should automatically eject after the system is idle for 10-15 minutes. So basically my poor macbook is useless at the moment. I dont know what to do and i just payed 3 grand for this thing to use for recording music in college. I REALLY need to get this fixed or my pops will kill me. I havent told him yet, hopefully i can fix it without him knowing. PLEASE help. This is urgent.

If you restart your computer, and hold the option key. Once you see the available bootable devices, hit the eject key. Also, try another XP CD

I'm getting the same problem and I'm using a SP2 disc. The installation runs through and then restarts, asks to boot from cd and if that isn't done, it crashes. Booting from the cd just starts the installation process again and I end up with multiple installs on the partition.

Reformat the partition with the XPs2 disk. This helps sometimes. Plus make sure you don't update Boot Camp to the latest unless you are planing to install an XPs3 (and you already are running XP).

Looks like I had a bad XP disc. I tried another one and everything worked fine. Thanks for your help anyway.

Back