Fan and Battery problem's

ljohnson

Registered
I have a new macbook pro 2.4 core 2 duo that have a battery problem and a fan problem. The problem with the fan is that it constantly running and the computer isn't getting any cooler but hotter. It getting so hot that i have to turn it off because im afraid that it might damage something. So i downloaded SMC fan control but that 2 doesn't make any difference. With the battery which suppose to last up to 7 hours which in the beginning i got around 6 to 6 1/2 hours of battery but now only getting 2 hours of battery with a 20 days old macbook.

I tried these procedures to fix the problem but no results.
Press and hold .. Shift-Control-Option and the Power key with the computer shut-down plug up to the ac/dc charging adapter.

Then release the four button and don't touch the keyboard for 10 sec.
reboot and wait for the results (same problem).

So that didn't work so i work on the computer until the battery was almost about to shut-down the computer i let it sit for 6 hours then after the six hours i charged it until it fully charged around 6 to 8 hours. No result with that either if u have any idea what going on please please help.

If you go into your Activity Monitor (Applications/Utilities folder), then select All Processes from the menu (not just My processes), then sort the list by %CPU, what are the top 5 items in that list? You will likely see some process is running away with your processor, and causing the battery to run down very quickly, and also causing the fan to run constantly. Those two items would work together.
What is the result when you boot to your Hardware Test, and run the extended test? Are any error codes reported?
Lastly - if the fan is running constantly, that's not normal. You'll likely find out that is due to some software that you have installed, but if not, you may have a hardware problem that should be covered by AppleCare, and you should next contact AppleCare, or take to an Apple service shop or retail store for other assistance

ok i got to the activity monitor and selected all processes and click on cpu almost at the bottom of the screen and these five item are listed %user: 50.56, %system: 1.50, %idle: 47.50, Thread: 233, Processes: 51.

I didn't give you enough info - sorry -
Sort the processes list by clicking on the header item - in this case %CPU. Click a second time to reverse the sort. You'll see the processes with the most processor use at the top of the list.

Do you know how to boot to your hardware test?

I perform the test with the application disk that came with the computer and both test pass both the hardware test and the extended test passed. so i guess the next step is to take it to a apple store.

What did you find out in Activity Monitor? Are any processes using huge chunks of Processor (%CPU) ?
Perhaps it would help if you could recall what major apps you have installed since you got your MacBook Pro? Might give you a clue about what is happening.... :D

The five process name that are listed in the activity monitor when selecting the %cpu are

Process name %Cpu

Inkjet1 99.8
kernel_task 3.8
flash player 1.0
safari 1.5

The only thing that i installing is a hp printer and a few apps off of the apple store

Activity Monitor

Process Name - %CPU

inkjet1 - 99.6
kernel_task - 2.7
safari - 4.3
flash-player - 3.3

The only thing i installed is a hp printer and some apps form the apple store

Last edited:
What specific model HP printer do you have?
Did you install the HP software from the HP disk that came with the printer (that's likely the problem) - so, uninstalling the HP software will likely take care of the huge CPU load.
The HP installer CD should have an uninstaller - use that, then put that CD back in the box.
Then, you can download and install the current HP install for 10.6 direct from Apple,
http://support.apple.com/kb/DL907
or simply run software update while your HP printer is attached and powered on.
DON'T install the software on the CD that came with your printer.
The HP software really messes with permissions, so run Disk Utility and Repair Disk Permissions after you finish the HP uninstall and reinstall.

Thanks I think that it i uninstalled the hp printing and charge the battery up full and now its reading 11 Hr and 30 min. I know that wrong so i'm calibrating the battery.

Thanks again

Back