[FAQ]Can I install Tiger on my Mac from another Mac's DVD/CDs?

fryke

Staff member
Mod
1.) Tiger's installation CD set/DVD is intended to be installed on _one_ computer and on _one_ computer only, whether it's the retail box you've bought or the one that came with your computer. The license does _not_ allow you to install Tiger on _any_ other Mac - unless it's the family pack, which allows the installation of Tiger on up to five Macs in the same household.

2.) Technically, the retail box allows installation on any supported Macintosh computer. (But as said in point 1, installing on more than one machine would violate the license, so DON'T do this!) Read the box' details about hardware requirements. Basically, the Mac has to have on-board FireWire as a minimal requirement, and you need an optical drive capable of reading DVDs (you can use the exchange program to get Tiger on CDs, but won't find a CD set in any of the retail boxes in stores).

Okay,

A few friends of mine (5 total) in our creative dept. just pitched in to buy the FAMILY 5-PK LICENSE for Mac OSX Tiger 10.4.3. I'm curious how this works though; we just opened the retail box and there isn't 5 SERIAL NOs.in there. So I'm curious how this works;

DOES IT WORK FOR THE "FIRST FIVE" COMPUTERS YOU INSTALL IT ON?
Is that how Mac keeps a track of all these.

ALSO, BEING THAT THERE'S 5 OF US, HOW CAN WE EACH GET AN EXACT COPY OF THE DISC (bieng that it only inlcuded one)?
(how do you properly burn image/bootable install CDs?)

mersyone said:
Okay,

A few friends of mine (5 total) in our creative dept. just pitched in to buy the FAMILY 5-PK LICENSE for Mac OSX Tiger 10.4.3. I'm curious how this works though; we just opened the retail box and there isn't 5 SERIAL NOs.in there. So I'm curious how this works;

DOES IT WORK FOR THE "FIRST FIVE" COMPUTERS YOU INSTALL IT ON?
Is that how Mac keeps a track of all these.

ALSO, BEING THAT THERE'S 5 OF US, HOW CAN WE EACH GET AN EXACT COPY OF THE DISC (bieng that it only inlcuded one)?
(how do you properly burn image/bootable install CDs?)

What you're doing is still illegal (read Apple's note about it on their website and the EULA included with the OS). The 5-pack is for up to 5 computers in the same household, non-commercial use only. You use the same disc and the serial that comes with it on those computers...hence why only one copy of the disc & serial was provided. All the 5-pack does is allow the install on up to 5 computers, instead of 1 as is the usual.

mersyone, you (and your friends) need to return the 5-pack and buy the proper single-install versions.

We are NOT intending on using this for our offices! "heck no!"...I wouldnt give my office the satisfaction. This is for our personal home use. However, we don't live together (just work together) which if what your saying is that in order to legitimately buy Tiger Family Pack there has to be 5 MAC COMPUTERS in one household...

...WELL I DON'T KNOW A SINGLE PERSON WHO HAS 5 MAC COMPUTERS IN THERE HOUSEHOLD (do you?) (Why would anybody even need 5 macs in one house?)

mersyone said:
what your saying is that in order to legitimately buy Tiger Family Pack there has to be 5 MAC COMPUTERS in one household...
Yup

mersyone said:
...WELL I DON'T KNOW A SINGLE PERSON WHO HAS 5 MAC COMPUTERS IN THERE HOUSEHOLD (do you?) (Why would anybody even need 5 macs in one house?)

I know quite a few people who do, some even have more than 5 systems. It's not uncommon for everyone in a household to have their own computer now a days, and the average family size is 3 to 4 (3.17 according to the 2000 census) in the US.

A friend has 5, soon to be 6. Him and his wife each have desktops (DP G5, g4 iMac) and each also have a laptop (g4 iBook & g4 PowerBook). They also have a G4 iMac for their two children to play games and do homework on (how 1st and 3rd graders have homework like that is a mystery to me). They'll be replacing the G4 iMac the wife uses soon with a G5 iMac, so the G4 will go to the kids and each will have their own computer.

My parents house has quite a few, 7 in total being currently used regularly. One Uncle has 4 in his house, another has 3. Another Uncle is soon to have 2 Minis (one for each kid) and a G5 iMac (for the adults). I could probably name about 10 or so more people (family, friends, neighbors) who have 3 or more systems.

You don't have to have 5 systems to see the savings though...it pays to buy the family license even if you only used it on 2 machines ($129 single, $199 for up to 5). You save $58 with 2, $188 with 3, $317 with 4, and $446 with 5.

What exactly is a "household" and how long do you need to reside there to be a member? I say this, because I live at my parents place for 6.1 months out of the year. I live out of the country for the rest of the time. My medical is still covered because I'm still considered a resident cuz I live in the country for more than half the year.

?

Well, then you're good. You _do_ live in the same household most of the time and you're family, too. If you think about it, it doesn't really matter where you actually _use_ your Mac. A PowerBook might be used almost _only_ outside the house (if you also happen to have a PowerMac at home, for example), but still people qualify for the family pack by living there.

...so if I've installed tiger onto two machines and not one, then I should uninstall it off the second? :?

Not unless Steve Jobs is coming over :)

I wouldn't worry about it.

When I purchased Mac OS X Tiger, it naturally came on a DVD, and my Blue & White G3 didn't have a DVD drive from which to startup, so I installed Tiger (Installation DVD) on my iPod from my external DVD, booted from my iPod, and installed Tiger on to my hard drive from the iPod. This was not an easy task, and you have to backup EVERYTHING on the iPod, wipe it completely, install Tiger, startup from the iPod and install Tiger on to an internal HD, erase Tiger from the iPod, and get all your backed-up stuff back on your iPod. Incidentally, this only works with the 4G iPods (FIREWIRE), not the newer video iPods with USB.

Under Apple Technical Info Library article no. 2615524, section 8b, paragraph 7, "Definition of Household" it says:

"Household" is defined as the equivalent of at least 2.5 persons (or more) occupying the same habitational location for at least 9 months out of the year or more. 2.25 persons (or less) do not qualify under this designation. Kids who have moved back into the home after failing exams at the local community college and are mooching off Mom and Dad are not counted as humans under this category (see "Installation for Parasitic Species," TIL artnum 76438 or "Installation on Living Room Couch for Advanced Moochers, subsection "Couch Potato iBook Etiquette", artnum 789134).

"Household" is furthermore defined as a unit of individuals possessing a minimum of twelve (12) Apple computing devices, with devices running the Windows© operating system counting as 15.5% of a computing device.

"Household" is furthermore defined as a unit of individuals none of which watches television shows such as "WWWF RAW", "Choppers" and "Desperate Housewives" or eats bag after bag of Pirate's Booty while quaffing Michelob Lights. Deduct 1.5 household units for each of these offenses.

"Household" is furthermore defined as a habitational location which possesses at least one altar, above which is positioned a recent photograph of Steven Jobs and/or Jonathan Ives (Steve Wozniak is no longer qualifiable except for users installing System 7.1 and below.)

Hope that helps.

Two G5 desktops, G4 iBook, G3 iBook, Ruby iMac, Mac Classic II, and a PowerMac coming tomorrow for a community project - that'll be seven Macs - and believe it or not, there are four Powerbooks sometimes when putting a 40 page magazine together (community based material spread over all of them which has to be collated for the printers). All operating systems (OS7 upwards) legitimately acquired with each computer and then updated on the internet.

er - if that's addressed to me that sounds like ... sarcasm? Not good if it is. My point only was that some households have lots of macs, whilst some may have lots of PCs. I have never owned or used a PC except rarely when forced to on location.

If you get that kind of comment back then it doesn't reflect well on some contributors.

brianmorgan said:
er - if that's addressed to me that sounds like ... sarcasm? Not good if it is. My point only was that some households have lots of macs, whilst some may have lots of PCs. I have never owned or used a PC except rarely when forced to on location.

If you get that kind of comment back then it doesn't reflect well on some contributors.
I think fryke was just kidding with you. There was a little smiley after his comments, after all.

bobw said:
Not unless Steve Jobs is coming over :)

I wouldn't worry about it.
When Steve (he hates being called "Stevie" or "The Jobs Man") comes over my place, I make sure that I hide all my Windows machines. That's what really upsets him. You can pirate the hell out of the Mac OS, but legit copies of Windows will not be tolerated. You have been warned. :D

Back