[FAQ]Can I install Tiger on my Mac from another Mac's DVD/CDs?

And iMovie's version has nothing to do with Tiger/Panther - unless you mean it simply performs better in Tiger, which could theoretically be. But if you look at the about boxes, you'll probably notice that you have iLife '05 on your iMac, whereas the others are using iLife '04 or earlier.

woops... sorry, newbie here... misunderstood the topic with bias that the legal issues were off-topic cuz i was trying to install new OS to my mac with my other mac's dvd-rom as in the drive itself, not the shiny disc...

i DO have the legit copy which i couldn't boot from the drive on the machine that i wanted the OS installed... couldn't figure out how else i could do it... have started a new thread... if anyone could help... :p thx!

Another question:

I have purchased unregistered Tiger install discs for an eMac setup (fresh out of the box), and I was wondering if it was possible to install them on my Powerbook G4?

I'm getting the message from the Installer program that the software "can't be installed on this computer", but I'm wondering if there is a work around somehow, since the "read me first" text file is the standard one talking about installing on portables and desktops...

Please note: this is not a legality question- simply a technical question.

Thanks!

BkynPlague said:
Please note: this is not a legality question- simply a technical question.
Strictly as a technical answer -- you wasted your money, there is no workaround to make the installer work on your PowerBook.

Folks, if the CD/DVD doesn't say "Mac OS X Install Disc" on the disc or doesn't have a huge "X" plastered across the disc (whatever the design for it's particular version of OS X), then it's not an official retail version of the installation discs. Any disc that you see sold that has either a colored background and doesn't have the "X" plastered on the disc is a disc that came SPECIFICALLY FOR THE SYSTEM IT SHIPPED WITH. People are selling these discs on eBay and other places and they are not meant to be sold without the Mac that it belongs to. THEY WILL MOST LIKELY NOT WORK ON ANY OTHER MAC OTHER THAN THE ONE THE DISCS ORIGINALLY CAM WITH!! If you see such discs, STAY AWAY! Only get the retail versions of the full installation or the upgrade if that's all you need. Not to difficult to grasp, folks.... :rolleyes:

Maybe this way people will pay attention and understand... :rolleyes: Common sense, people. If it looks too good to be true, it most likely is.

I dont want to post for or against any comments on this post. I just want to say those who access the internet are never completely safe from the prying eyes of corporate enterprise and their far reaching quest for personal users data. and serial numbers!

I guess I do have more to say. I have bought many many products at full retail price that I used once or twice and never used again. I have also installed some apps loaned by a friend, ended up buying them and buying upgrades for the following 10 years. Maybe apple should consider changing the name to friends and family pack. I own a couple hundred shares of "appl" in one of my IRAs they aint hurtin. And anyone who thinks big business plays by all the rules and develops business models that are fair for all consumers rich and poor alike. Well I dont care what the rules say. Lighten up man Its so funny, usually the guys that cry foul the loudest....well we all know that story.

And another thing. I use Tiger on most of my machines approx 53. It aint all that and a bag of chips. Yeah it works good in many situations but apple is aware of many problems that consumers should be made aware of that may change their decision about purchasing that product. And since I brought up apple again I bought 5 of the first series dual G5 all with the same monitor card problem Yeah many many of you know what I am talking about. Contacting apple you would think it was the first time they ever heard of it sure after 6 months they finally started posting that their could be an issue on it. I had replaced all of them by then. Dont get me started. I cant even remember how many times I have been down that road since 84. Will just call it even with apple 1 family pack vs 5 monitor cards they did not have to replace!

BGprinting said:
And another thing. I use Tiger on most of my machines approx 53. It aint all that and a bag of chips. Yeah it works good in many situations but apple is aware of many problems that consumers should be made aware of that may change their decision about purchasing that product. And since I brought up apple again I bought 5 of the first series dual G5 all with the same monitor card problem Yeah many many of you know what I am talking about. Contacting apple you would think it was the first time they ever heard of it sure after 6 months they finally started posting that their could be an issue on it. I had replaced all of them by then. Dont get me started. I cant even remember how many times I have been down that road since 84. Will just call it even with apple 1 family pack vs 5 monitor cards they did not have to replace!
What does this even have to do with the topic at hand? If you have a gripe with Apple, there are other threads, believe me.

I have never posted in an forum before if this is a hugh issue. Let me know And I will not return. Posting this in any other forum would make no sense at all. The reply only makes sense when used within the context of this thread. I have no gripes with apple. Ask them they dont even know who I am. Macs dominate my network, although SGI IRIX OS2 AIX UNIX and a dozen or so plane old windows machines also have their place. Why do people have to post about letters of the law. When its obvious this group of users have purchased this apple product with good faith. Its one of those 5 new users that turns into a poweruser and buys millions in apple products in the course of their lifetime!

just off the record, i have two macs, and TWO legit copies of tiger! I also have over 4000+ Mp3's which are ALL LEGIT owned and licenced and paid for... But my real pirating is elsewere on the macs....hrmfffbasdasdaksd

mersyone said:
We are NOT intending on using this for our offices! "heck no!"...I wouldnt give my office the satisfaction. This is for our personal home use. However, we don't live together (just work together) which if what your saying is that in order to legitimately buy Tiger Family Pack there has to be 5 MAC COMPUTERS in one household...

...WELL I DON'T KNOW A SINGLE PERSON WHO HAS 5 MAC COMPUTERS IN THERE HOUSEHOLD (do you?) (Why would anybody even need 5 macs in one house?)

Well.. If you think that maybe 5 students sharing apartment or something... And its "Up to five" You dont HAVE to have five macs at home...

mersyone said:
We are NOT intending on using this for our offices! "heck no!"...I wouldnt give my office the satisfaction. This is for our personal home use. However, we don't live together (just work together) which if what your saying is that in order to legitimately buy Tiger Family Pack there has to be 5 MAC COMPUTERS in one household...

...WELL I DON'T KNOW A SINGLE PERSON WHO HAS 5 MAC COMPUTERS IN THERE HOUSEHOLD (do you?) (Why would anybody even need 5 macs in one house?)

Hello, I am fepjr and have more than five Macs in my home. Four that are capable of using Tiger and six old ones that are not capable for it. They pile up over the years! Some of them come in handy though for various things.
Like linking it up to my Dish TV and being able to watch the news while working.

Lets see.. I have a B&W G3.. A Beige G3.. A 5500.. A Powerbook 1400 and a Powerbook G3 (mainstreet).. that's 5, and they are all in use.. there's also as many PC's in the house, but those collect dust most of the time ;)

Sorry.. just thought I'd share that as my first post..

Back