[FAQ] - Cleaning LCD Screens

Status
Not open for further replies.

shrill

Registered
I've got a Titanium PB G4 with a couple spots on the screen. Anyone have some advice how to clean them off without leaving streaks or scratches? Anyone know what not to do? :D

A few of them came off with a dry cotton cloth, but the others are stuck. I have a feeling I sneezed on it or something.

Originally posted by shrill
Anyone know what not to do? :D

Stay away from ammonia-based window cleaners. I've seen Windex destroy LCD displays in the past. It severely fogs the plastic (antiglare?) layer that's between you and the glass, making the the display impossible to read. I don't know if the displays on the TiBook/iBook are susceptable to this, but I suspect that you'd rather not find out on your own Book... :)

Rubberchicken is right - use water only. And rub very gently.

sorry about the length of this post.

The majority of the exterior of a portable computer is plastic, except in the case of the PowerBook G4. The idea behind cleaning is to protect and preserve. Cleaning though can have consequences as well. For example if abrasive materials and cleaning agents are used then your once dirty portable can begin to look rather aged.

Once of the most important pieces of advise when cleaning a portable is 'take your time'. Rushing raises the possibility of damage to the portable either by mistakenly using improper cleaning agents or putting way too much pressure on surfaces that may crack and break under stress.

So what is the best way to clean portables? Let us take a look firstly at the LCD assembly then followed by the casings.

LCD cleaning
------------

LCDs can get dirty for any number of reasons. Fingerprints and dust are typically the main two contributors. However, as in the case of more recent portables, marks may develop on the screen as well. These marks are a result of the keycaps rubbing up against the LCD surface.

These marks are the result of the edges of the keycaps on the keyboard touching the glass that covers the display due to the tight tolerances required by the slim profile and lighter weight of the PowerBook. These marks are not permanent and can be removed by gently wiping off the display with a clean cloth. Periodically wiping off the keyboard and display will reduce the visibility of any marks on the display.

If the keyboard in your PowerBook has been lifted up to install RAM (or for any other reason), you should check to make sure that the keyboard is properly seated. When reinstalling the keyboard make sure all the tabs on the leading edge are fully inserted into their corresponding slots. Also ensure that the heat sink or heat exchanger are installed correctly otherwise the keyboard will sit high thus coming into contact with the LCD surface.

So how do you clean fingerprints, dust or marks from a LCD? Firstly try water on a soft cloth. It is important that you do not use a cloth that may be abrasive. For example cloths made from synthetics may be abrasive. Make sure the cloths you use are wood-pulp and lint-free with extremely low polyester content. Never use paper towels.

It is important to note that the surface of the LCD is coated with an anti-glare coating. This surface also offers scratch resistance to a good degree. This surface is not however scratch proof. Likewise it is important to note that chemical agents can react with this surface as well therefore be very careful when selecting which chemical cleaners you intend to use.

So which chemicals can you use to clean the LCD? Water is naturally the best however there will be times when water will just not do the job. Regrettably water alone is not very good at removing oils and other contaminants left behind on a LCD.

Some people use vinegar with water as an all over plastics cleaner for portables. Vinegar & water is the only "safe" glass cleaner for plastics, but this has no anti-static properties, does not resist finger-printing and cannot prevent scratching or extend the life of your LCD display screen surface.

Be very careful of glass cleaners. LCD display screens are almost universally made of plastic. Plastics and computer manufacturers consistently do not recommend alcohol or ammonia - based cleaners. Repeated applications of alcohol on plastic will turn your screen surface "yellow", make it brittle and cause "stress cracking" (hairline scratches) on your screen surface.

While there are many commercial products available that will work without damaging the plastics, Apple has tested a product called Klear Screen made by Meridrew Enterprises (http://www.klearscreen.com) and found it does not cause any harm to the plastics.

Isopropyl alcohol can be used also to clean LCDs without the worry of damaging the anti-glare coating on a LCD. The only caution though is that you do not use this option regularly. However from time to time you may need to remove that stubborn oily fingerprint or marks that just seem to not want to come of the screen.

The use of isopropyl alcohol however does leave streaking behind. Streaks are easily removed afterward with a cloth damped with water.

The best and easiest way to clean a LCD with isopropyl alcohol is with the use of Isowipes manufactures by Kimberly-Clark (order code: 6835). These wipes comes in a bottle dispenser with 75 wipes. Isowipes are available through most chemists.

Whenever cleaning an LCD it is always best to use water unless of course you need to remove stubborn dirt thus simply cannot be removed by water alone.

If you choose to use a window cleaner on the LCD make sure that it does not contain any ammonia.

Preventative maintenance is always good as well. Let's take screen marks as an example on the PowerBook G4. If a customer constantly travels with their PowerBook in a carry bag chances are the LCD will develop marks. This is typically a result of the leading edges of the keycaps rubbing up against the LCD. This rubbing is compounded whenever the PowerBook is squashed in a carry bag resulting in the top case and keyboard rubbing up against the LCD.

A good way to reduce the marks and potential abrasion whenever two surfaces meet is with the introduction of a cloth laid between the LCD and the top case and keyboard. A clever solution but make sure once again that the cloth used is not abrasive otherwise the cloth may become a contributor to LCD scratching.

Lastly never spray any cleaning agents directly onto the LCD. Always spray onto a cloth and then using a circular movement rub the cloth onto the LCD surface thus removing dirt and grime. Spraying directly onto the LCD surface may produce running.

Exterior plastics
-----------------

Water on a damp cloth is always best. But again water may not be enough at times. Be careful not to use chemical cleaners that react with plastic that can result in the dulling of the plastics.

Excluding the PowerBook G4 the exterior plastics and keyboards can be cleaned with the use of isopropyl alcohol. These wipes will clean away all unwanted dirt and grime and leaves a great finish without streaking. Also these wipes will not fade the screen printing on keyboard keycaps.

On the PowerBook G4 however the use of cleaning agents other than water is not recommended since any many cleaning agents have the potential of fading the colour on these portables

"Microfiber" clothes
I suggest using 'microfiber' cloths. These are specially made to remove finger prints and oil for the surface of glass and plastic lens in glasses. You can get these from any eye doctors office , and most have free samples-but if they don't they only cost about 5 bucks. They are re-usable!! Just wet the cloth and gently wipe down the screen (you usally don't even have to wet the cloth)!! When it is dry i just set mine on top of my keyboard and close the screen, and the cloth keeps it from getting marks on the screen!
These are excellent items, and i recommend them to every laptop owner!

PowerBook G4 (400) 10 gigs (soon to be 20), 512 RAM, and a wonderful 15.2' LCD screen!:D

Though it sounds strange, i keep a "lemon scented" "Pledge-Grab-it" thingie in my case and close one inside my TiBook when I close it to take to clients, home and to the cottage. Not only do i allways have something to keep my machine clean, but it smells "Lemon Fresh!" The big thing that i have politely asked and bashed people for... is don't let people touch your screen/monitor, at work i tell people "it's not an interactive touch screen." The last new sales person we hired and talked to, about touching the screen, i went out to his car and wipped my fingers all over the inside of his car windshield, he learned...javascript:smilie(';)')

My 3 year old took a ball point pen to my Titanium Powerbook LCD screen. It was a mess. I tried all sorts of gentle things to clean it but nothing worked. Finally, with nothing to lose (I'd have to get a new screen if it didn't work) I tried lacquer thinner on it and it work GREAT! It took off all the pen marks and didn't damage the screen at all.

Anybody want a 3 year old?

3 year old powerbook? sure.

3 year old child? Uh, I'll have to pass on that one. I like to keep my screens strictly pen-free.

And while I'm posting, let me add a "me too" to the list of people who get irritated by other "touch-screen wannabees". It's amazing how people feel the need to touch the screen to point at something...

!!!!!!!

Okay, cleaning's fine, but what do you say to your best client when the their directors walk into your office, look at the job on screen and start to use a blasted magic marker to indicate what they want altered while you look on aghast, turning purple and struggling to find something to say that won't lose you the account?

Gotta love 'em. Answers on a £50 note please. (Sigh - I know, print out the proofs first).

I write from personal experience. At the time, I was a pipe smoker - a very handy thing to clamp your teeth down on. When taking a meeting, don't turn your back for a second!

Yeeeikes!

Lazzo, no answer for that one.

But I do know what removes pen, as well as just about anything else from Apple's models made out of the modled plastics (i.e. space egg, clamshell, G4/G3 towers, icebook). Those citrus cleaners do just fine! They clean everything off. You'll remeber how it felt to use a brand new computer, all of the plastic is completely intact.:)

The accepted method for cleaning spots off of an LCD screen from a manufacturing POV is to use isopropal alcohol and a cotton cosmetic pad (not cotton ball).

While water will remove water soluable contaminates, it will not remove non-water soluable contaminates (finger prints, big-macs etc). This method is ISO acceptable. IPA is benign to plastics and an added benifit it sterializes the area cleaned (keyboards!). A dry cloth should only be used to remove dust. Use care and caution when cleaning the screen. It's soft and scratches easily. IPA will also remove stickers, it's slow but safe.

My prior backgroung is as a Quality Control Engineer at Sun Micro. Trust me I've dinged a number of manufacturers for improper cleaning procedures.

Repeated applications of alcohol on plastic will turn your screen surface "yellow", make it brittle and cause "stress cracking" (hairline scratches) on your screen surface.
What about this, earla? Deny, confirm?

Perhaps this is too latent a reply, but I just acquired a Powerbook G4 and two weeks later already I have a mark or scratch on the screen which refuses to be removed. I tried isopropyl alcohol as many here have suggested. The alignment of the mark is not coincident with the keyboard (so I can't blame the keys) but is at a very conspicuous "rule of thirds" optical center location. So I'm about to go bonkers catching it within view of my eye as I work. Anyone ever heard of a professional LCD cleaning or repair house? I'm perplexed that this isn't somehow better addressed by Apple. Should I just call the support line? Just checking the experience of others first. Many thanks for your time and consideration...

You might want to try a product called klear screen (or something similar, don't remember for sure). Its Apple's prefered way of cleaning LCDs and one of the micro fiber clothes. If it was there when you got your powerbook and you can't get it off call Apple and ask for a repair or replacement. If they won't they can always replace it for you at your request (cost around $1100 US).

Hope that helps

Ok I know this is completely insane but I cleaned a very dirty screen on an old IBM thinkpad today at work with Mothers Showtime (yes, automotive stuff)

http://www.detailersdream.com/item5490.ctlg

Believe it or not, it worked amazing and left the screen feeling silky smooth ;) I dont know if its bad to use but it was there and I was curious. Hey it was an old laptop nobody cared about so may as well experiment. Turned out well.

Just thought I'd share my LCD cleaning experience. My 18 month old drew me a very pretty picture on my Apple Studio Display. Instead of using the mouse and a drawing program, he used a thick black Sharpie on the surface of the display.

Water didn't even phase the marks, so with nothing to loose, I tried acetone (finger nail polish remover). It cleaned all of the marks from the pen and after 6 months now, I have not noticed any negative long term effects. I've sinced applied a purple moo screen protector in case my kid's artistic side rears again.

I know it's not recommended, but it worked great for me...

Doug

I paid a visit to the Apple Store today. I'm disappointed to report that I purchased the iKlear cleaner wipes and tried cleaning my LCD to no avail. I spoke with the store experts and their response was "Oh well this is just a risk you inevitably run." Hmm... well that just cheers me up. I can't help but wonder why Apple doesn't do more to prevent this sort of thing. It's quite demoralizing to be honest. Spent $3500 a few weeks ago and now my display is blemished. Ok I'll stop whining.

I recommend to anyone who wants to protect their huge investment to keep the transparent/translucent shipping coating material on the LCD until Apple comes up with a decent way to protect the LCD display. Or just don't buy a laptop. Or don't buy an Apple laptop anyway. The solution some here have mentioned of placing some sort of soft cotton cloth between the display and keyboard should be amended to say to cover the whole surface of where the display meets the computer. My marks are not coincident with the keyboard itself. Also this solution is not the best because it places strain on the latch mechanism. My computer has opened itself up a few times. You should shut down your computer completely and avoid sleep mode under these circumstances.

Regards...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back