[FAQ] - Cleaning LCD Screens

Status
Not open for further replies.
To clean my LCD I use glass cleaner! Spray the stuff on a rag (one or two sprays) and rub, all the gunk comes off!

I've actually used soap and water on a piece of toilet paper on my G3 Powerbook and G3 iBook 500. Took everything right off and didn't leave anything behind. After reading all this, though, I probably won't do it again. :D

Since my ibook is only 2 weeks old I am still very protective of it. I carry it around in the foam sleeve that it was shipped in and I have kept the foam sheet that was placed between the keyboard and display. I figure If I am going to spend that much money I am damn well going to protect it as best I can...who cares what my co- workers say :p.

I have a pair of Oakley sun glasses that came with cloth bag that is the only recommended cleaning cloth for them... I have had to scrub pretty hard on the lenses a few times and can proudly say I have no scratches on them.

So it only seemed logical to use this same cloth to wipe the outside of the case and my lcd. It works like a charm and I would recommend using one fo them that to anyone. :)

clean... cleaner... cleanest

my pb is now about >2 yrs. old. it has scratches on the display, which the previous owner tried to pollish away (goodbuy anit-shine layer).
But come-on people.
You're using the machine. If you're really using it, you wont notice the scratches. Like you wont notice the scratches on you sun-glasses when you see a beautifull women, or a Van Gogh or anything you really like... you will even forget the glasses are there at all!

as for the screen:
just regularely whipe the screen with your sleeve to remove the worst dirt. or maybe use some saliva (spittle/slime) to remove oilly stuff, the best there is. put that on your sleeve before whiping.

i once used the vacuum-cleaner for the interior of the pb. after i did a two-week project on the beach and once once i took apart and washed the keyboard after someone spilled a glass of beer over the it.

main thing is: it works! and i can see what i do, and do what i want!

if the quality of the image is so important you're not going to use an tft-screen after all..

just don't look at the screen, but at what it shows!

(sorry for this rude interlude, but i think the same about my car and all other materialistic bullshit)

Yes, some dumb girlfriend of an ex-flatmate took Windolene to my 17" - it was almost new, and has been utterly srewed ever since. - the picture is good but the surface of the screen is cloudy and blurry in places, making it seem as if the resolution is slightly off in parts of the creen. I've put up with it for a while, joping to secure a 19" apple CRT to take home from work, but the quality's no good on that either.
Hooray though, have 'acquired' a pristine 17" Dell trinitron - can't wait to get it hom, the difference in quality is amazing, so sharp....

Best Client or not, i would have removed the marker
from his hand and told him to please wait until he
was back in his own office if he insisted on ruining
expensive equipment.

(geez, some people are such fsck'ing MORONS - a *&$#@! magic marker??!!)

Lazzo said:
!!!!!!!

Okay, cleaning's fine, but what do you say to your best client when the their directors walk into your office, look at the job on screen and start to use a blasted magic marker to indicate what they want altered while you look on aghast, turning purple and struggling to find something to say that won't lose you the account?

Gotta love 'em. Answers on a £50 note please. (Sigh - I know, print out the proofs first).

I write from personal experience. At the time, I was a pipe smoker - a very handy thing to clamp your teeth down on. When taking a meeting, don't turn your back for a second!

Yeeeikes!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back