[FAQ] How to get a mini-dvd out of a PowerBook

thegreathal

Registered
Ah, you've found a program to burn onto mini-dvds? You didn't know the eject button doesn't work? Whoops! Haha, you look pretty screwed...but wait!

This sort of thing has a simple solution. Apple's computers are fairly solid. Don't hit it, will only hurt data but not get the disc out (probably). Out of the many creative ways, I found that getting extra-strength tape, preferably clear Scotch, rolling it and sticking it inside the drive create little known damage and retrieves any item nicely.

Nice tip -- for those that don't know, odd-sized or smaller-sized CDs/DVDs are not compatible with slot-loading drives. Slot-loading drives can only receive normal-sized media, which does not include mini-CDs/DVDs, business-card CDs/DVDs, or oddly-shaped (not perfectly round) CDs/DVDs.

This worked for me once when I foolishly inserted a small CD/DVD.

Turn the powerbook upside down.
Press the eject button.
At least I could see some of the disk and was able to remove it.
JB

so from what you guys are saying, if you have a tray-loading cd/dvd drive, you would be able to say, burn mini-dvds? how much space does a mini-dvd hold? 1.5 GB?

I also stupidly stuck a mini dvd in a powerbook slot, it completely disappeared. I pushed it further in however and suddenly it was ejected by the computer, no problem at all.

Back