Fast User Switching has no effect

MidnightJava

Registered
I used FUS years ago, but I can't get it to work now. I clicked Login Options in the Accounts preferences pane, and checked Use Fast User Switching. But when I log off any user, it closes all the applications and actually logs out. And when I switch back to any user, it loads all the apps from scratch and starts them up again. And when I log out as user X and log in as user Y, if I execute who, I see indeed that user X is not logged in.

Do I need to do something to make it work as advertised, i.e. keep the user's desktop running in the background when I log in as a different user? I'm running 10.4.11.

If you're using the "Log Out" option from the "Finder" menu (or the "Log Out" keyboard combination of shift-command-q), then you're not using Fast User Switching... you are logging out, which is different from switching users.

If you want to switch users using FUS, then you need to use the Fast User Switching menu which should appear somewhere on the right-hand side of your menubar. It will either be an icon of a person's torso and head, or it will be your user account name or shortname, depending on what you have selected in the Accounts preference pane.

Reminds me that FUS should add a menu item to the Apple menu. It should read:

Sleep
Restart ...
Shutdown ...
---
Log off fryke ...
Switch user ...

(I'm translating from the German system version.)

Back