FASTEST SCSI CD-RW/BOOT FOR LEGACY MACs

ohmelas

Registered
Okay here's one. I want a CDRW for my legacy beige Mac and I want to run it off the SCSI bus that's in there so that I can install software and boot of the darn thing. Can you help me?

Well, if you want to drop around $200 or so, you can get a plextor 40x12x40x scsi cdrw drive. Or, you can spend around $40 and get an HP 32x4x8x scsi cdrw drive. Depends on what you want to spend :)

Brian

As Always you guys are helpful. I was eyeballing a couple of HP drives on Ebay and picked one of those up this morning. That list helped in the research. I needed a Mac bootable CDRW and the speed wasn't the most important machine. It's a bit slower than my IDE Plexwriter however, I'll be ablo replace the SCSI drive and have CDRW and that's worth more than taking up two places on this particular machine! Thanks. SCSI is rare and expensive compared to its IDE cousins however, it appears that SCSI seems a bit more reliable too. On these legacy machines, my 52x doesn't burn as fast as my SCSI stock 24x Mac drive either when ripping CD's. I imagine that its due to the PCI Tempo Trio card I'm using and its interface versus the SCSI bus on the MOBO.

Back