Fav "old" apple computers

What is your favourite "old" apple computer?

• The 1999 color iMacs

• 333Mhz iMac

• 2002 iMac

• Color iBook

• First white iBook

• First PowerBook

• G4 Mac mini

• G5 iMac

• G4 Cube PowerMac

• G3 PowerMac

Results are only viewable after voting.
I voted for the Cube eventhough I never owned one, I think the concept was kinda cool at the time.

I agree with you. I saw some (even though never owned any) and they look much better than the new PowerMac thats in the stores now.

With "old" I meant ones that arent getting produced anymore and arent in the Apple Stores anymore.

Ferdinand

PS: Yeah, the Centris computers are old!

Gig' said:
I voted for the Cube eventhough I never owned one, I think the concept was kinda cool at the time.

i always had a dream of spring loading the CD-Rom drive so that it would be a game to catch CD's as they fell from you ceiling

This is silly. There are no real "classics" in this list (like, well, the Mac Classic, for example, the Mac Plus, the SE, the SE/30, the Mac II, the Mac IIfx or the Macintosh Colour Classic and...) but then there's "first PowerBook". Suddenly, out of the blue, there's the PowerBook 100, a decade or more older than any of the other mentioned computers...

Well, my favourite "old" Apple Computer is the Macintosh PowerBook 180. It rocked.

My favorite is the Mac SE, not on the poll. My G3 was a great machine, with so many options, and just as many upgrade options as well.

yeah - hardly "old"...

I have to go with my Powerbook 145/170, just because it was the first Mac I owned. (It's still typing somewhere.)

On the list, the clamshell iBook (also because it was mine) and the Cube for reasons mentioned above.

Apple has made a bazillion different models over the years, so this is better suited to a plain ol' discussion than an actual poll. Anyway, I already posted mine in your other thread. In short: the 2000-2001 iMac DV+ (Ruby model in particular).

I wasn't a Mac enthusiast until the mid 90s, so the REAL "classic Macs" don't register much with me. When I started using Macs, Apple's hardware design was decidedly ho-hum. Clones were smacking them around on price, performance, and style. It wasn't until '98, with the introduction of the iMac, that I started to consider Apple's hardware division really worthwhile.

I loved my performa 630 as it was my first mac, but my fave would have to be the first mac i saw, i think an se30 but can't be sure, it was a small all in one black and white apple used for dtp in the publishers my Aunt worked for. I played some game where you had to drop the guy from the helicopter into the hay bale on it, i forget the name. It was the beginning of my mac cultism.

I've still got a soft spot for the Lisa which turned into the MacXL. This is the machine that got a lot of us hooked on Mac computing in the early '80's. So much so, I think I can say that I have never typed a DOS command to do anything in 25 years of daily use of a computer :)

I was turned by a Mac Plus. By several, actually. They had them at the school I went to at the time. Hm. Thinking about those days, I had several "favourite" Macs over time. Loved my PowerBook 150, the 180 I was using for a couple of weeks, even the 180c, although it didn't run long on battery, loved my Performa 630... Well, the PB 180 would still have been my favourite Mac ever. Although I never owned one without a "c" in the name.

ya, your missing all the classic old macs, the real old macs. in your list, short of the 1st powerbook, they are just yesterday's model, not old macs. mine has to be my quadra 800. it was really my 1st mac. spent $25 to get it at an university surplus in fall of 99. i loved it, and it served me faithfully until i got a ppc 7500 two years later. now i miss my 68040 :(

JetwingX said:
i always had a dream of spring loading the CD-Rom drive so that it would be a game to catch CD's as they fell from you ceiling

LoL, Somehow that dream came true 4 me with my iMac G5 spitting cd's after say importing a cd on iTunes, I do my best to catch them on the fly ;0)

fryke said:
Well, the PB 180 would still have been my favourite Mac ever.
I remember when that model came out. It was hard to find as people were buying them as fast as Apple could make them.

My favorite series would be the PowerBook Duos. I've owned the 230, 270c, 280, 280c and 2300c (I still have both the 280 and 2300c).

Even though I still use my Duo 2300c (running Mac OS 8.6), it is mainly a book bag computer that I use when I'm at school (because it doesn't take up much room or weigh much in my backpack). The systems I spend most of my time on are my PowerBook G3 Wallstreet, Beige G3 Mini Tower, PowerMac 8600/300 and my PowerBook 3400c.

The 8600 (running Rhapsody 5.6) and the 3400c (running Mac OS 8.6) are pretty much in original condition. I did add an ATI Rage 128 to the 8600, but other wise it is stock.

My Wallstreet (running Mac OS X v10.2.8) has been upgraded to a G4/500, I replaced the CD-ROM drive with a CDRW drive and it has a second hard drive in the battery expansion bay. My Beige G3 (running Mac OS X v10.3.9) has a G4/533, an ATI Radeon 7000 (32 MB of VRAM), an UltraATA-66 card (with an 80 GB hard drive connected), a USB, the stock 24x CD-ROM drive, a DVD-ROM drive and room for a CDR drive which I plan on getting in the next month or so. Plus there should be room within the case for at least one more hard drive.

I'd have to say non, I persoanlly hated Macs until the generation of OS X. I remember back in middle school, and before that when they had OS whatever, and it SUCKED! I thought they ran really slow, and looked terrible, but then again that was school computers, so maybe that had a bit to do with it.

I *still* run a G4 Cube. That computer was (and still is) so cool back in the day. I've been debating an upgrade for some time now. But what to do with that cube is the big thing. Maybe I'll just pack it in a box and store it away - along with the Mac Classic, Mac LC and the "Pismo" Powerbook I'm using.

I think he was referring to the Powerbook G3 as it is the first Powerbook for us DeGeneration X folks. I liked the Power Mac 6100 because it was my gaming machine and the new iMac (iMac DV 400 Lime, Blueberry) for its futuristic design.
My favorite is the iBook Clamshell even though I don't own one (yet!). IMO the worst Mac had to be the iMac G4 but this is about favorites.

Back