File Sharing/Java

bananaboi8715

Registered
I am used to using a Mac OSX, however right now the only computer available to me is a mac 0S 8.6. I have come to this forum never-the-less, because you guys are always very helpful. When I try to download programs such as Limewire Pro, I get an error message looking like this:

java.lang.StringIndexOutOfBoundsException: String index out of range: -1
at java.lang.String.substring(Compiled Code)
at com.zerog.ia.installer.util.magicfolders.SystemDriveRootMF.b(Unknown Source)
at com.zerog.ia.installer.util.magicfolders.MagicFolder.initializeAllMagicFolderPaths(Compiled Code)
at com.zerog.ia.installer.Main.d(Unknown Source)
at com.zerog.ia.installer.Main.c(Compiled Code)
at com.zerog.ia.installer.Main.main(Unknown Source)
at com.zerog.lax.LAX.launch(Compiled Code)
at com.zerog.lax.LAX.main(Unknown Source)
at com.apple.mrj.JManager.JMStaticMethodDispatcher.run(JMAWTContextImpl.java)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java)

How can I fix this problem? Do I need to re-install a version of java?

Also, I turned web sharing on through the control panel, however a manual on the computer says I need to install webscript, but webscript is not located on my hard drive. Do I really need it for file sharing purposes, and if so, how can I acquire it?

You mean to say you get this error message when trying to download Limewire Pro? What program are you using to download Limewire?

So you're actually having problems with installing it and not *downloading* it. Make sure you have the latest version of Java for Mac OS 8.6. Since I don't use it, I have no idea where you'll download that from.

I don't think that having the wrong java vm would give that kind of error. It looks like something is trying to get a substring of a string using a -1, I dont see how a different vm would fix that.

I guess its worth a try though.

I had this problem as well trying to install JBuilder X. It seems that any installer that used the "Zero G" Java-based installer had this problem. I fresh installed 10.3 the minute it was released, and did all incremental updates since then. I never found an easy solution, but wiping my drive and reinstalling helped.

The problem seems to only manifest with Java-based installers. Already installed Java-based programs would run fine -- just the installers would give me trouble.

You wouldn't get an index of -1 normally. It could be due to something screwy going on, and I'm quite sure it isn't a programming error since that would have been rather obvious (hey, our software doesn't even install!).

Back